New Lounger
    Thanks
    So over the summer I was supposed to watch a video for my english class online. The only problem was that it wouldn't play so I tried to torrent it. The torrent end up giving me Antimalware Doctor and Security Suite. Yay for two viruses! Anyways, I started up in safe mode, used rkill, and scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This seemed to get rid of the problem, as the two programs were gone. Now, however, when I start the computer up, it says that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. I click close and Explorer just restarts and I no longer have the error. I tried a disk check and it didn't do anything; I still get the error on startup. Also, Firefox will randomly not load pages. I click on a bookmark or type in an address and it just comes up saying the server can't be found. And when I search for something in Google and get my results, it will sometimes randomly open a new tab trying to take me to different pages. I uninstalled Firefox with Revo Uninstaller and am now scanning the computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again. But if this doesn't work, any suggestions?? Our ISP called and said that other customers were reporting unwanted emails that were originating from our IP. So something didn't get taken care of. And what about the Windows Explorer error? Help please. Thanks!

Thanks
    I suppose it's possible you have a root kit as well. I would continue to attempt clean up while in Safe Mode. Gizmo Richards suggests Sophos Anti-Rootkit as a great choice for this. I have not tried this, as I have never had a root kit infection, but Gizmo is well respected as a source of great apps.

Note: Sophos does require registration to acquire it's free download.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Your computer is clearly compromised, consider whether or not the effort put into fixing it is actually worth it Versus a clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Your computer is clearly compromised, consider whether or not the effort put into fixing it is actually worth it Versus a clean install.
    Agreed, checkout an example of the initial cleanup and detection of the sort that you'll need to run; even after the all-clear, you may not have a 100% working installation of Windows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Gallatin View Post
    Now, however, when I start the computer up, it says that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. I click close and Explorer just restarts and I no longer have the error.
    A fake Explorer may have been set up to run at startup, either in the registry or in startup folder. If you use the AutoRuns utility, you can see whether that is the case.

More info: Autoruns for Windows

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I fixed it. I finished letting Malwarebytes Antimalware scan and then got rid of what it brought up and then used a Trend online scan and it only found one item and got rid of it. I started up the computer and there was no error. I restarted just to make sure that it was working and there was still no error. Now I plan to just wait a few days and see if my ISP says they're still getting unwanted emails from my IP. Thanks for all the advice guys!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would not consider you clean yet. You need to get a clear bill of health from at least three tools first.

I would use roderunner's suggestion for one of the tools....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Kaspersky's TDSSKiller and it found something and got rid of it. I was scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware but interrupted the scan to let TDSSKiller reboot, so I'm scanning again with that. But I think I'll just end up reinstalling Windows. The computer was a school project that I built, but unfortunately when I built it, I never made a backup partition. So I think I'll talk to my school's IT guy and just completely wipe it. But thanks for all the help guys. This sure was a great learning experience!

Thanks
    I used Kaspersky's TDSSKiller and it found something and got rid of it. I was scanning with SUPERAntiSpyware but interrupted the scan to let TDSSKiller reboot, so I'm scanning again with that. But I think I'll just end up reinstalling Windows. The computer was a school project that I built, but unfortunately when I built it, I never made a backup partition. So I think I'll talk to my school's IT guy and just completely wipe it. But thanks for all the help guys. This sure was a great learning experience!
    After you get everything cleaned or reinstalled and set up the way you want it, make an Image with a good Imaging app. Many are discussed at length in these forums. Then every time you make a big change or add a new app, reimage to keep your Image up to date. Then when something bad like this happens, it takes about 15 minutes to get back where you were. Putting the Image on a seperate partition is nice, but I would also suggest something off PC in case of complete HD failure. I use an Ext. HD for this. Works very well. The separate partition will be quicker (approx half the time of an Ext USB HD) but what difference is 7 minutes versus 15 minutes when things do not work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's nice because Western Digital offers some software from Acronis that you can use for free if you own one of their hard drives, which I luckily do. I'll probably just use Easeus to partition the hard drive. I don't own an external hard drive (I sorely need to get one) but I do have another computer that has plenty of space on it. I quick transfer with a crossover cable isn't too hard.

Thanks
    It's nice because Western Digital offers some software from Acronis that you can use for free if you own one of their hard drives, which I luckily do. I'll probably just use Easeus to partition the hard drive. I don't own an external hard drive (I sorely need to get one) but I do have another computer that has plenty of space on it. I quick transfer with a crossover cable isn't too hard.
    I do use my other 2 PCes (my wife's laptop and our desktop) to backup our data (which resides on Data ("D") partitions in our laptops) so other PCes can be used for these Image storage. I believe the Ext USB HD might be faster (I use our network to move data from one PC to the other PCes).

Ext. USB HDs are getting very reasonable. My Seagate Go 1 TB drive was about $100. For this much storage, that was very inexpensive. Shop round a little and save some bucks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted