Lounger
    Thanks
    I've looked all over and can't seem to find the answer to this one. Dell says to do a clean install. But I'm thinking maybe someone here has run into this before.

Here's a Dell Inspiron Laptop - purchased 2008 - out of warrantee. Several months ago, it lost it's ability to handle any audio playback.

On boot up, we get this:

Orig error

I've looked all over and can't seem to find the answer to this one. There are a few articles out on the 'net proposing to just recopy the .dll. Dell says to do a clean install. But I'm thinking maybe someone here has run into this before.

Here's a Dell Inspiron Laptop - purchased 2008 - out of warrantee. Several months ago, it lost it's ability to handle any audio playback. Forget restore, we don't know when this began.

Services: Windows Audio is set auto - no start. Dependency on MMCS service - that service also fails to start with error 193:0x19.

Dev Mgr > Sound > shows two devices: Sigmatel HD Audio codec and Intel HD Audio Controller. Pulled the orig driver set off the Dell supplied software DVD and ran it. Same problem. Pulled more recent driver set for the Intel device off of Dell web. Same problem. Dev Mgr reports all sound as "Operating Properly".

Let's try to reinstall WMP11. Where is WMP11 installed? If I look at where/how WMP is installed I get this:

Where's it installed?

As you can see, WMP doesn't show where I think it should. When you go and get the "latest" WMP and try to install on top of what is/isn't there, you get this:

Can't reinstall because...

So you're in a wonderful hopeless loop, if indeed it is WMP 11 that is causing the problem.

SFC - the avrt.dll in the Vista install cache on the drive is the same hash, same date, same filesize as what's sitting in the windows\system32 folder. Replaced it anyway - same result. CBS.log shows that SFC was unable to resolve avrt.dll.

The Dell "Reinstallation DVD" will not permit the now famous "Upgrade Install" as it's not designed to apparently. I've gone to two different websites to download a new avrt.dll - replaced the old with the downloaded copy. Same result.

What do we do with this thing now? Hope someone can respond.
    Thanks.

H

Thanks
    Instead of reinstalling WMP, try uninstalling, run a mild registry fixer like CCleaner's, restart the computer. Then attempt to install.

Use the "Optional Features" component of the control panel's "programs and features" to remove WMP.

If you are unable to get any sound to play on your laptop, it may indicate a wider problem than just WMP.
    Try VLC player as a test to see if it can play anything.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Herb,

Try re-registering avrt.dll by starting the Command Prompt by right clicking it and selecting Run as administrator and type in regsvr32 avrt.dll .
    Be sure to include the space between '32' and 'avrt.dll' . Reboot the computer. See if that makes a difference.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, we've made a little (very little) progress.

First - I'm familiar with VLC Player. It installs but as soon as you launch it, same error.

Regsrv32 - I followed the instructions and:

avrt.dll fails to register

I started thinking about 32bit vs 64 bit. The MyComputer panel clearly states: Vista Home Premium - 32 bit. Then, I looked at avrt.dll's properties. Is it a 32 or 64 bit module? See this:

avrt.dll props I wonder if someone else could look at theirs and see any diff. Doesn't tell me much.

Then I decided to try regsrv32 on another dll just above avrt. See this:

Is regrv32 really for 32?

I went to research what MS says about the error. See this and tell me if somehow 64bit .dlls got put on here by mistake.

MS error interpretation

SFC /scannow does show that sfc cannot recover the avrt.dll. And, the resultant CBS log is huge and I can't make it smaller because no matter what I do it's 'access denied' unless I copy it to the Documents folder. I could do that if someone thought it worthy. Also I looked at Event Log and filtered a log report snipped below. Observe that Windows Audio's dependency service (MMCS) is not starting because "the file can't be found". Note that Vista is declaring the MMCSS is not a valid version either. So am I chasing an MMCS problem or am I chasing an avrt.dll problem? I don't know which is launched first in the sequence.

I'll stand by for any further direction.

H

Snipped Event Log:

Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:36:02 AM Service Control Manager 7009 None A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service to connect.
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The XAudioService service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7009 None A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the XAudioService service to connect.
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7001 None "The Windows Audio service depends on the Multimedia Class Scheduler service which failed to start because of the following error:
    Windows Audio is not a valid Win32 application."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:35:54 AM Service Control Manager 7023 None "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
    Multimedia Class Scheduler is not a valid Win32 application."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:21:03 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:21:03 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:20:27 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:20:27 AM Service Control Manager 7009 None A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service to connect.
    Error 8/19/2010 9:20:09 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:20:08 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:19:55 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The XAudioService service failed to start due to the following error:
    Error 8/19/2010 9:19:55 AM Service Control Manager 7009 None A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the XAudioService service to connect.
    Error 8/19/2010 9:19:55 AM Service Control Manager 7000 None "The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:19:55 AM Service Control Manager 7001 None "The Windows Audio service depends on the Multimedia Class Scheduler service which failed to start because of the following error:
    Windows Audio is not a valid Win32 application."
    Error 8/19/2010 9:19:55 AM Service Control Manager 7023 None "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
    Error 8/18/2010 8:06:56 PM Service Control Manager 7023 None "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service terminated with the following error:
    _End snip_

Thanks
    Herb, check to see if the Windows Modules Installer Service is set to Automatic and is started. It controls the TrustedInstaller.exe process which should show under the permissions list on the Security tab of the avrt.dll properties page.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    HI Gerald.

Here's the latest. Windows Module Installer Service was set to Manual and unstarted. I set it to Auto and started it out of the console. No error. Rebooted. Checked it and it was Auto and Started. Same error though. I went to avrt.dll and inspected the Security tab. Indeed TrustedInstaller has full control.

I took a further look at MMCSS. See this: MMCSS dependency See that Windows Audio is indeed reliant on this being set up and running correctly. MMCSS is set to Auto but is unstarted. This error does not show up on reboot.

Just for interest these two processes also won't fire. See: Service not available and Service also unavailable.

I looked at how Windows Audio is set to run. See: Windows Audio LogOn. This looks to be set correctly.

Everything is pinioned on MMCSS starting. I know what MMCSS does - it's a helper app for Vista when Windows audio is trying to stream network content. All the indications are that one or more .dll files got put on here for 64-bit systems. But, Windows is well known for ""juking" you into thinking it's "this" but really it's "that". How did this get here? Beside the point but it's anyone's guess - I'm thinking some errant Windows Update perhaps or installation of some software from somewhere.

If there's anything else you'd like me to try, I'm game.

H

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to get a working copy of avrt.dll from a SP1 Vista Home Prem install on a flash drive. Brought it in, swapped it out. Bingo - no error. But Windows Audio Service wouldn't start. On starting, errored out with a 1079. Googled & found this: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...ce-error-1079/. It's close I thought. Went to the Audio Service services box and changed the Log On account to "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" in the Log On panel. I could not disable the password - it kept putting it back. Started Win Audio Service. We now have audio - speakers and headphones! Rebooted several times to ensure it's "locked in".

As we close this chapter, could anyone please tell me if you forsee any "landmine" in here with respect to using that NT AUTHORITY log on structure? It's the only service on here using it from what I can tell (quick inspection - not thorough). What do you think?

And, what a struggle!

H

Thanks
    Hi Herb,

This is the path to executable on my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop: C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted. So it is a system local service network restricted account with its own password. It is handled by the same svchost.exe instance that handles the DHCP networking function, Windows Event Log, TCP/IP NetBios helper, and Security Center. My logon tab says "LocalService" rather than "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" but evidently "NT AUTHORITY" is implied even if not specified, because in my system registry, the key lists the ObjectName as "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" just as yours does, so I would think you are good to go.

Glad you arrived at a solution, and thanks for posting back your solution. It will help another Lounger someday.
    Deadeye81