4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using W7 Home Premium on an eMachine E725 laptop with 2 GB memory. I share this laptop with my wife and we each have a seperate sign on. I was trying to do a back up of our files to an external hard drive. I am not using an special back up software, I am just copying all the files over. When I tried to copy everything for my wife and I plus everything in the Public User directory, I was getting messages that folder names were too long to copy and I didn't think I had anything really unusual, so I started looking more closely at the folders and noticed that the Folder Size and File counts just didn't make sense.

I looked at my wifes folder, because hers is smaller than mine and I figured that would be an easy answer. I checked each of these by right clicking on the Folder and selecting Properties. I used the size shown, not size on disk. In some cases they were slightly different but I wanted to be consistent so I chose to go with size.

Overall, the parent folder, named after my wife, shows a huge amount of file size and number of files and folders, in comparison to the breakdown of the individual folders under it. I didn't bother to convert the KB's and MB's to GB's to add it all together because I don't really think it would matter.

I do have Show Hidden Files turned on.

Why are the sum of the parts so much less than the total shown when I check the total of the Parent folder? Thanks for any insights that you can give you me.

Folder Size Unit Files Folders
    Barbara (Parent) 2.68 GB 8464 576

Contacts 43.9 KB 2 0
    Desktop 2.82 KB 1 0
    Downloads 2.82 KB 1 0
    Favorites 5.76 KB 30 5
    Links 2.28 KB 4 0
    My Documents 91.8 MB 122 12
    My Music 6.32 MB 24 19
    My Pictures 37.7 MB 104 7
    My Videos 5.04 KB 1 0
    Saved Games 79.9 KB 6 5
    Searches 3.06 KB 5 0
    Tracing 0 1 1

Thanks
    Windows 7 has unusual ways of calculating folder size.

I would suggest making a folder on the external drive for your wife, and then drag the individual subfolders to that folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is NOT the file SIZE but the "Path length"
    Read the message
    messages that folder names were too long to copy

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearen,

That's what I ended up doing. I was just curious about how W7 is reading the files sizes.

DaveA

I'll have to check it again when I get home, but I'm pretty sure that the message said "folder name". I've run into the path length limitation before, so I am familiar with it. Also, when I got the message, it showed me the name of the folder that was too long and they were strange names, just a combination of numbers and/or letters. Like I said, I will check again. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    bbearen,

That's what I ended up doing. I was just curious about how W7 is reading the files sizes.
    If there are any junction points contained within the selected group of files/folders, Windows 7 will often (but not in all cases) also give you the "population" size of the files at the junction destination, which, as you have noted, is a bit deceiving.

In the left pane of Windows Explorer, junction points are indicated by a folder icon with a shortcut arrow on it. If you click on that folder it won't open and will give you an "Access is denied" message popup.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows