2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings! I just bought a new notebook with Windows 7 installed and have everything pretty much set up they way I want, it was a breeze! I have a shared printer on my network that all the other computers see and use, but even though Win 7 effortlessly seeing the printer it automatically goes to Windows update looking for a driver then comes back saying there is none. I checked on MS website and they say my printer in totally compatible with Win 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions of windows. I tried going to the printers website but the drivers don't work, maybe I'll try again. But why would my Win 2000 machine work with the printer when all I had to do was allow print and file sharing? Is there a special setting within Win 7 such as the firewall which I looked at that need to be set? Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks
    Hi Gomek.

Some older printers can be installed via Windows Update in W7 if they are connected directly to the PC, can you try that?

Thanks
    Have you tried a Vista driver for your printer? Lots of Vista hardware drivers work just fine with Windows 7.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Make sure the printer drivers you are attempting to load are the same Bitness as the OS. (i.e. 32 Bit or 64 Bit)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The make and model of this printer would help us help you?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    This might help;How to Geek
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! What great members are here at the lounge!!! I deeply appreciate everyone's help and suggestion. This one wasn't all that difficult and I should have tried one more step before posting, but I quickly discoved the problem. I just bought a new notebook (my first ever) and it has Win7 installed. I saw something about 64bit, but wasn't sure if that was stating it was compatible or what? But the OS is 64bit and I went back and installed an XP 64bit driver and it works like a charm! I suppose I was a bit distracted setting everything else up it didn't dawn on me to see what type of OS I was using. This is my first experience with Win7 and it's all what the ravers say it is. The overall setup and configuaration is SO much easlier and flawless then even XP. So thank you all again for your help, and you may see me in the future offering my 2 cents in helpful advice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    Wow! What great members are here at the lounge!!! I deeply appreciate everyone's help and suggestion. This one wasn't all that difficult and I should have tried one more step before posting, but I quickly discoved the problem. I just bought a new notebook (my first ever) and it has Win7 installed. I saw something about 64bit, but wasn't sure if that was stating it was compatible or what? But the OS is 64bit and I went back and installed an XP 64bit driver and it works like a charm! I suppose I was a bit distracted setting everything else up it didn't dawn on me to see what type of OS I was using. This is my first experience with Win7 and it's all what the ravers say it is. The overall setup and configuaration is SO much easlier and flawless then even XP. So thank you all again for your help, and you may see me in the future offering my 2 cents in helpful advice.
    Glad my "Bitness" suggestion was a help. All hardware drivers have to be the same "Bitness" as the OS, if not, well you see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy