Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an XP Pro computer with 1 GB RAM, which is the max for that model. I have Office 2007 installed and would like to keep this as a legacy suite (and computer) for occasional use and for data storage. I expect the maximum demand would be Word and Outlook, although I have the full suite installed on that computer.

The computer requires a clean install and taking it out of service is not an option. I would be interested to know if anyone can offer an opinion or cite a study on the resource demands of the different versions of Win 7 (I can have any I want), or if XP is where it should stay. I can even reduce it to XP Home, if I want. Stability and security matter most Ė it can take all the time it likes. I have certain Office 2007 data that I want to store separately before I convert to 2010 and to be able to access at any time after that. I also want to use it from time to time to keep it alive, mind you Ė it may be in better shape than I am.

Thanks
    You don't provide enough information as to the age of the computer or any of it's hardware, other than
    the RAM limitations, to be able to offer any real advice.

The computer requires a clean install and taking it out of service is not an option.
    Not quite sure I understand the above, are you running a server or something?
    Why can't you take it out of service long enough to clean install?
    You would most definitely have to clean install Windows 7, assuming it is even compatible with your hardware.

Your hardware will likely dictate your course of action. You need to determine whether or not it can even support Windows 7.
    You could run XP just fine and there are plenty of things you could do to maximize security & what little resources you do have.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Microsoft lists the minimum system resources necessary to run 32 Bit Win 7 here. They specify 2 GB RAM for the 64 Bit so it sounds like that is out.

Disabling the Aero features is another method to slim the necessary resources for Win 7. A Google search shows various features that may be disabled.

How To Geek will show many UI tweaks to help save system resources.

Obviously the fewer apps running in the background, the better. Type msconfig.exe in the search area and press return. The System Configuration will open:

[attachment=89749:2010-08-23_0645.png]

[attachment=89750:2010-08-23_0645_001.png]

This shows all the apps running in the background. Disable all that absolutely do not need to be running. i.e. I just now disabled Google Update on mine since I will be updating manually. No need to have this running in the background. Most apps you install try to put something here. What's In Startup also shows these items and provides easy ways to shut down these start up items.

[attachment=89751:2010-08-23_0653.png]

These and many other things may help Win 7 to run on this older PC. It will however be necessary to take it out of service for several hours to install any OS. Run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor and check the Win 7 Compatibility Center.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My apology for such a tangled and incomplete question. When I said 'taking it out of service is not an option' I meant 'permanently out of service' (because it is an 'old' computer). Given the mess the present software is in, a clean install is a necessity no matter what I do.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10, which was top of the line when I bought it and which is in great shape, with a terrific screen and an aspect ratio that I like better than any other I have had. (I wish someone would get back to such ratios instead of these ever-wider screens.) It may be the handsomest laptop ever built. I once had certain of the more interesting additions, including a removable (i.e. second) hard drive, but the parts and I have been involuntarily separated. Windows Pro was pre-installed so I know it can be restored to that, and I think I have doubled the RAM from the original, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't pushing my luck by installing Windows 7. I can always go back to XP if it doesn't work. I have a one GB netbook with Win 7 Ultimate running on it, so I know it can be done, but that is a year-old computer with a newer processor, and I can upgrade it to 2 GB if I want, where the Toshiba is at its maximum with one GB. Neither of those computers is likely to be called upon to run any resource-guzzling applications, and certain Office 2007 applications are what I most want them for, which is the attraction of Win 7. For all I know, it might actually be more efficient to run those under Win 7 than under XP.

As you can see, I have pretty much talked myself into it, but I thought I'd run it past the experts to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    My apology for such a tangled and incomplete question. When I said 'taking it out of service is not an option' I meant 'permanently out of service' (because it is an 'old' computer). Given the mess the present software is in, a clean install is a necessity no matter what I do.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10, which was top of the line when I bought it and which is in great shape, with a terrific screen and an aspect ratio that I like better than any other I have had. (I wish someone would get back to such ratios instead of these ever-wider screens.) It may be the handsomest laptop ever built. I once had certain of the more interesting additions, including a removable (i.e. second) hard drive, but the parts and I have been involuntarily separated. Windows Pro was pre-installed so I know it can be restored to that, and I think I have doubled the RAM from the original, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't pushing my luck by installing Windows 7. I can always go back to XP if it doesn't work. I have a one GB netbook with Win 7 Ultimate running on it, so I know it can be done, but that is a year-old computer with a newer processor, and I can upgrade it to 2 GB if I want, where the Toshiba is at its maximum with one GB. Neither of those computers is likely to be called upon to run any resource-guzzling applications, and certain Office 2007 applications are what I most want them for, which is the attraction of Win 7. For all I know, it might actually be more efficient to run those under Win 7 than under XP.

As you can see, I have pretty much talked myself into it, but I thought I'd run it past the experts to be on the safe side.
    I think I would go for it. Perhaps Win 7 Home Premium. As stated you may have to turn the glitz off because of limited resources, but you seem to be prepared to do this anyway. Just limit the stuff you load and it should be fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience is that I upgraded an Intel Atom-based Netbook with 1Gb RAM from Win XPH to Windows 7 Ultimate. It works perfectly, equally as well as XPH including Aero features.

I have now increased the RAM to 2 GB with a noticeable improvement in performance, but that would have been the same with XPH.

Office 2010 runs fine, though I only use Word and Excel. I use WLM for email and IrfanView for graphics.

My conclusion is that Win 7 will run as well as Win XP unlike Vista. Of, course, you will need to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to ensure that you don't have some unexpected hardware incompatibility.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That computer took to Windows 7 Ultimate like a duck to water. To top it off, the maximum RAM is 2 GB, not 1, as certain web sites had led me to think. The only catch is that I have to have a matched pair of memory sticks, and sacrifice my existing 1 GB stick (although Iíll give it away if I find a local taker). I was going for the extra RAM anyway, so this will be double the cost but still worth it to me. I also have 8 GB ReadyBoost, whether it works or not.

Iíve done a lot of word-processing and general research with it, which is the primary use I have in mind, and I am now loaded for bear with office suites (2), encyclopaedias (2), dictionaries and thesauruses (umpteen), newfangled programs (OneNote), old favourites (WebCopier), and so on. A glorified typewriter (adding machine, etc. = office) beyond imagining, with a comfortable keyboard and screen. It has limitations, of course, but for a 7-year-old computer itís an antidote to Vista shock.

The graphics donít support Aero, which is a resource glutton anyway, and the only thing so far that doesnít work at all is the SD slot, for which I was advised to search on the internet for a driver. That much I understood, but the rest was geekspeak and I would be grateful for leads.

Thanks
    Look at the PC manufacturer's web site for drivers for the SD card slot. That's where I got mine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted