Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook - where I get my emails has in the past hour stopped sending and recieving. It goes into 'preparing to send' mode.
    My wife laptop - using the same router is fine - my machine sent and recieved about an hour ago and I've not messed with it in the meantime. When I did a test I got all greens and the confirmation email from outlook. can anyone advise please. Can you also copy your reply to : ann.wheal@btinternet.com just to make sure I get the reply
    Cheers
    W

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What Antivirus are you using? (most include some sort of email proxy so they can check the email before it is delivered) If it is messed up you might get this message.

Go into the outbox in outlook and see what is not sending. There is a possibility that an attachment on the outgoing email is stuck. I would delete anything in the outbox and reboot the machine. (or close outlook and then go into the task manager "processes" tab and manually stop any outlook processes). Then restart outlook and try the send and recieve. If it works try to recreate the email you deleted from the outbox and see if it goes.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [s]PS> Please delete your other post as it is double posted......[/s]

I see the double is gone,

Thanks...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. The offending message was to a hotmail address. Perhaps that is the problem. I have Eset anti-virus but that is on my wifes laptop too and hers is OK - and on the same router. I deleted the messages and shut down and after a reboot all was well . When I re -did the message - minus the attachment Outlook went silly again. Could it be the hotmail address that is causing the problem.
    Cheers
    P

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    can you send a test message to another address?

I don't see how the address is the problem as outlook doesn't even make connection to your smtp server.....

I would suspect that your eset install is messed up (or outlook itself is somehow corrupted). First try a test email to another address (delete the bad message and reboot again first). If this works it is probably something with that address. If it does not work, try disabling Eset temporarily and see if it works. If it still does not work I would try to do a repair install of outlook...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks
    I did the test message bit - all fine, and I am now sending and receiving well. I haven't tried the hotmail address again yet though.
    Cheers
    W