Thread: Symantec

Thanks
    This morning while reading this thread, 777700 I realized that I hadn't checked out my startups in quite some time.
    I ran MSCONFIG, and noticed that although they were unchecked, there were a couple of instances of Norton. I then decided to try out this WhatsInStartup and see if Symantec / Norton showed up there. Glad to say it did not.
    This computer, was running Win XPP, and I did a clean install when I went to Windows7. I did use Laplink however.
    Next I went to the registry and noticed that Symantec was showing up there as well. While there I also noticed entries for Mozilla, and Netscape?
    What are these doing there since they have not been on here, and can I or should I remove these entries. I am not noticing any problems.
    Computer:
    HP dv5000US
    AMD Turion 64 Processor
    2GB Hard RAM, and 2GB ReadyBoost

Oh yea almost forgot. Using Revo Uninstaller I accidentally uninstalled AnswerWorks 5 Their download link keeps me going around in circles. Anyone know of a different download site.

Thanks Guys and Gals Yours truly the ID10T king of the morning!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Where in the Registry? It would be much better if you would post a screenshot.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe,
    They are located in two different places:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE

Here is a Snagit from LOCAL_Machine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Do you have , or more appropriately have you ever had Norton installed on this PC? If so, Norton has been reconized in the past for doing a less than stellar job of uninstalling itself and getting rid of all the junk. This may be what you are seeing.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    By default, Windows has place holder keys in the registry for just about every brand of software that ever was, and many you've never even heard of. In most cases, if you'll just look closely there is really NO data there, so don't worry about it. If you want to nit-pick, you can take out those entries for programs you don't have but you just create holes in your registry when you do that. Then you need to run a registry optimizer like "NTREGOPT" to re-compress the registry to save space. I use that every time I clean my registry, so it doesn't wind up looking like Swiss Cheese.

I've been through this whole scenario and for the most part it's just one big waste of time.
    If you're really concerned about maybe some part of a Symantec program, like Norton still lurking on your PC, you can download the "Norton Removal Tool". Just Google for it.
    But if you already know that Norton was never installed on there, then don't waste your time. And don't worry about those Symantec entries in the registry. OK?

good luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Do you have , or more appropriately have you ever had Norton installed on this PC? If so, Norton has been reconized in the past for doing a less than stellar job of uninstalling itself and getting rid of all the junk. This may be what you are seeing.
    No Norton has never been on here. That's why I am wondering.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    By default, Windows has place holder keys in the registry for just about every brand of software that ever was, and many you've never even heard of. In most cases, if you'll just look closely there is really NO data there, so don't worry about it. If you want to nit-pick, you can take out those entries for programs you don't have but you just create holes in your registry when you do that. Then you need to run a registry optimizer like "NTREGOPT" to re-compress the registry to save space. I use that every time I clean my registry, so it doesn't wind up looking like Swiss Cheese.

I've been through this whole scenario and for the most part it's just one big waste of time.
    If you're really concerned about maybe some part of a Symantec program, like Norton still lurking on your PC, you can download the "Norton Removal Tool". Just Google for it.
    But if you already know that Norton was never installed on there, then don't waste your time. And don't worry about those Symantec entries in the registry. OK?

good luck,
    The Doctor
    As I mentioned in the original post, it doesn't appear to be creating any problems. Given that I will probably just leave it be.
    Thanks
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    No Norton has never been on here. That's why I am wondering.
    Are you sure there was not a "Trial" version on this machine when you first got it?
    A lot of OEM's have the trial version and it will leave traces in the registry.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Are you sure there was not a "Trial" version on this machine when you first got it?
    A lot of OEM's have the trial version and it will leave traces in the registry.
    You know Dave that is something I never thought about. This laptop is getting on in years, and in fact is starting to show ear hair in the USB ports! Ok no one really wants that pic in their head!

Thanks for making me think back that far.
    Thanks John

Lounger
    Thanks
    Only two Symantec leftovers! You should be jumping for joy, but she might scream and run from you. I wouldn't worry about them, but you can try the norton uninstaller tool and maybe use the jv16 power tools 60 day trial, use their software uninstaller to check for symantec leftovers and uninstall them. You can also go to services in computer management to see if any symantec services are running. (RUN then type SERVICES.MSC) I would not manually edit the registry to get rid of them.

Thanks
    If you are running Windows 7, check Control Panel/Programs and Features and verify no Norton or Symantec program is listed. Live Update is typically left behind when you uninstall a Symantec program.
    As suggested by Gadgetfixer, Norton Removal Tool will clean out most of the registry items left over from an uninstall. You do have to know which Norton product you are attempting to clean though.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IIRC, when you uncheck something from one of the registry startup locations in MSCONFIG it makes another registry key and moves the unchecked item to that key. The OS never process the "new" key so the items never get started. MSCONFIG is "smart" enought to check for that key and present those items as available but not selected. Other programs may not recognize this technique and therefore not display the items. An regular application uninstaller would not know about this key either and would not remove those entries.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    There is a neat little program that can remove all the old and unused entries in that run list in the startup folder. I have it and use it often on customers PC's where I have to disable a lot of junk from that startup folder.

The Norton Removal tool used to be comprised of three programs. One of those was a registry script to remove 1891 entries that Norton had put into the registry. Cheeeech!
    I still run that on occasion, just for grins.

There are just dozens, maybe even hundreds of redundant files in Windows (like the redundant entries in the Registry).
    You can drive yourself crazy trying to remove all of them. And if you take out the wrong one, you can trash Windows.
    So maybe it's just better to leave them and find something a lot more fun to do with your time. Like working internet forums. lol

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!