New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wondering whether it is possible to swap hard drive from one hp laptop to another. The problem I have is that one harddrive is slowing down and making a noise so probably nearly dead and I have another hard drive in another computer inwhich the harddrive is good and slightly bigger (capacity) but there is other internal problems, so I would just like to swap harddrives. (they appear the same physical size) The nearly dead harddrive runs on xp home and the good harddrive runs on xp pro. I would like to keep programs and folders/files on the good harddrive so I dont want to delete anything just swap over

Questions

Will the computer recognise the replaced harddrive? Maybe just map the drive
    Will I need to reinstall o/s?, or
    Will the replaced harddrive just start up like the old laptop in xp pro as maybe all the registry files are already there on the harddrive?

May have more questions depending on answers

regards

Alan

Thanks
    It would depend on the specific hard drive controller types of your laptops.
    Even if the laptop hard drive controllers are the same, you may need to format and reinstall the os.

Research the boards of the laptops to ensure the hard drives are compatible.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davis View Post
    I was wondering whether it is possible to swap hard drive from one hp laptop to another.
    Questions
    Will the computer recognise the replaced harddrive? Maybe just map the drive
    Will I need to reinstall o/s?, or
    Will the replaced harddrive just start up like the old claptop in xp pro as maybe all the registry files are already there on the harddrive?
    Alan
    Hello... Boy it is a real can of worms and "it depends " Have you any "imaging tools"? Also there are a few ways to do this . .... My "MO" would be as follows ... (if you don't have any "tools")
    1. Download a free program from Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp and install . (on good drive)
    2. Image the "good hard drive" and save externally to... USB HD, DVD Disk's, Flash Drive etc (burn a "Macrium Recovery Disk"..very important)
    3. Swap out Drives... see what shakes out (at this point you have nothing to loose) Probably your motherboard hardware combo will "choke" with a different HD.
    4.Re-install windows from your original disk... on the new PC combo.
    5. If you can get this to boot up Great ! ..you can now use the "image" that you created to bring your new OS back up to where it was.Either use the "Recovery Disk" that you made (boot from it) or re-install Macrium on your "Fresh install" and bring the "image" back from wherever you had put it. I'm sure others will jump in on this with other ways ... this is just the one i would use. Regards fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely should determine each controller type (PATA or SATA and if they match just give it a go for starters, if the computer boots into Windows and asks for activation or begins prompting for all the drivers, you're past the hump. If it doesn't go anywhere and they're both PATA, easy fix to replace the hard drive controller with a generic one and boot up. If they're both SATA, more problematic because XP is pretty stone deaf as far as SATA is concerned. There are methods for doing a bare metal restore type operation to get it working but its much more involved to try and explain all those steps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the answers so far, some food for thought coming out. May be a silly question but where do I find the controller info for both drives

Alan

Thanks
    Alan, Swapping hdd's from one PC to another is like moving contents of an egg from one to another without cracking the shell. Why not just buy an hdd of the size you want and correct type, then follow most of Fred's advice.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner, not being the computer guru I just thought that as you can as you say buy a new hdd and put it in, I couldn't see why you couldn't put in a used hdd which already had all my info on it. But if it becomes too difficult then I will do as you say.

Bytheway I found the info on the controller drivers.

Alan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davis View Post
    Thanks Roderunner, not being the computer guru I just thought that as you can as you say buy a new hdd and put it in, I couldn't see why you couldn't put in a used hdd which already had all my info on it. But if it becomes too difficult then I will do as you say.

Bytheway I found the info on the controller drivers.

Alan
    Alan, The problem is all your info on the used HD is geared toward the hardware it is installed in presently. It may not even boot. To use it your best bet may be to install it, then insert a Windows Repair disk or Installation disk in your optical media drive, then turn your system on. Boot from the disk, format the drive, then connect the Image you made using Fred's advice and load that image. Since the Image was made on the PC you are putting the HD into, it already has all the appropriate drivers loaded.

When you format the HD it in essence becomes a new HD, at least to your PC. You can then load whatever OS you want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy