New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can i create a hidden account to run programs (things like malwarebytes scheduled scans, ccleaner, etc) with admin powers so my kids don't need to provide admin password? Are there other possibilities for this account to simplify life? Thanks from Pappy312

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can specify the account to use far a given service; in fact I do this for several of the services that I configure. So you can defines an admin account and set the service to use that account. There is also the "runas" command line utility that lets you run things as another account.

I am not sure about hiding an account. Usually you can see the account for each service in Task Managere, but then I always run as admin, not sure what the restrictions are regarding account visibility for non-admin accounts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If these job are run using the task scheduler you can set "Run with Highest Privileges" on the General tab of the task in addition to setting the account under which the job will be executed. By setting the account and "Run..." you avoid a user having to supply credentials when the job is executed.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for the assist folks! Great info. I did hear about hiding a user on the login screen today. requires regedit to a key special users...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need to hide the admin user, just set a password the kids won't guess, then save it in KeePass or whatever you use for password storage.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do this for scheduling backups on all systems that I setup for people that have automated backup. I create a user called backup and set a password. I then hide the account using this:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...en-in-windows/

I build the backup jobs while logged in as the backup user and supply the login credentials for that account to the job. The reason for this is that if you use the administrator or another user's account for this, the scheduled job will break if and when their password changes.

The downside is that this creates a backdoor for me into every machine I setup this way.