New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done a search within the forums but have not found an answer to this question.

I recently purchased and had installed a solid state (SS) drive on my computer, I then had Win 7 installed on the SS drive, so that I can dual boot into either Win 7 or Win XP. Both of these operating systems are on different hard drives. Because the SS drive is quite small (60GB) I want to use it primarily as a system drive and load everything else on my 500 GB drive (where I have Win XP) or one of my two 1TB drives (currently storage). I also thought that by keeping the SS drive as a system drive, it will be easier to do an image back up. The reason I went this route vs doing a virtual drive set up is that I have some older games that will be coming out with sequels and I want to use those characters in the upcoming edition of the games.

The technician that set up the system stated that I could go into Win7 and merely reinstall applications - lets say Office 2010 - in the same place it is now. That is, I can install Office on the same hard drive and in the same directory that it is now, so that both Win XP and Win 7 will recognize it. The benefit is that it will not need to be loaded on the SS drive and both operating systems will see the application without having to install it in two different places.

I am not sure whether this will actually work or not, which is why I am posting this question here.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I tried this with a couple of earlier OS's. The problem was, that one had to do the "Programs" updates from both OS's, so the registry's and local files could be updated. It got to be a real mess after a while. It got worse when I wanted to install a NEW version, the uninstall would work only on one OS and left the other with most out it still within the OS area and would not uninstall be cause part of the program was gone.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DaveA,
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought of that.