Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Acronis True Image Home 2011 Has been released. There is upgrade pricing for those who have 2010.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Acronis True Image Home 2011 Has been released. There is upgrade pricing for those who have 2010.
    Ted,
    Hello... Thanks for the "Heads up" Just received the offer from Acronis this AM..... Seems a bit "pricey" when you include the "Plus Pack" . Think that i would hold off updating from 2010 for now, and see how 2011 shakes out. When TI updated from V-11 to 2009... it was Horrible! , so i just went back to "11".... Waited for 2010 which works pretty well. For now, I'll be checking the TI forums for any signs of "screaming" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have found a couple UI bugs which were sent to Acronis. The bugs do not stop ATI 2011 from running successfully and creating an Image. Acronis tech support has acknowledged my email and are working on the bugs.

1) When validating, with less than a minute to go, suddenly the time to go switches to 20000 to 30000 days. The validation completes correctly a few minutes later, and the image does restore successfully so Acronis believes this is a glitch in the UI.

2) When selecting my USB Ext HD (Seagate Go 1 TB with approx 750 GB free) I get a warning the the target device is running low on space. I chose ignore and successfully created the Image.

As I stated both items are now being investigated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    1) When validating, with less than a minute to go, suddenly the time to go switches to 20000 to 30000 days. The validation completes correctly a few minutes later, and the image does restore successfully so Acronis believes this is a glitch in the UI.
    My Acronis TI 2010 does this too, but the large number only stays for a second or two.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    My Acronis TI 2010 does this too, but the large number only stays for a second or two.
    I have never noticed this with 2010, just with my new 2011. Acronis is aware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Oooops ! Wrong tread. JP.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Ted,
    Hello... Thanks for the "Heads up" Just received the offer from Acronis this AM..... Seems a bit "pricey" when you include the "Plus Pack" . Think that i would hold off updating from 2010 for now, and see how 2011 shakes out. When TI updated from V-11 to 2009... it was Horrible! , so i just went back to "11".... Waited for 2010 which works pretty well. For now, I'll be checking the TI forums for any signs of "screaming" Regards Fred
    I am VERY cautious when I upgrade Acronis True Image. I always take advantage of their upgrade pricing, but I never install the new stuff right away.

I wait for at least one or two "bug fix" revisions before I take the leap.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    I am VERY cautious when I upgrade Acronis True Image. I always take advantage of their upgrade pricing, but I never install the new stuff right away.

I wait for at least one or two "bug fix" revisions before I take the leap.
    rgrosz,
    After having been "burned" by Acronis 2009 (was a complete looser) One of the posters on the TI forum said that whoever changed the "scheduler " and the "naming" scheme ... "must have been drunk" ... i completely agree..... Then reverting back to TI-v 11, I'm more cautious this time around, and agree that you should wait and see. So far I'm very happy with TI 2010 v7046....small "bugs" and all Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Those of us who bought the Acronis Upgrade Protection with True Image 2010 are getting the 2011 upgrade for free. Money well spent, as it turns out. The upgrade is also free if you bought the 2010 product within the past month or two.

So far, I haven't run TI-2011 yet, but I do not like the new interface. I didn't like the 2010 "Vista-style" interface either. I can't find a lot of stuff in these interface versions. In 2011, I don't think there is even an option to insert Comments into a Backup Image Archive anymore. Maybe I am missing something somewhere in the new interface?

One thing I always do before upgrading Acronis products -- use the old version to make one last full backup image, just in case...
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Why upgrade at all if current version is doing what you need, half of the time, all of the features are not used and the ones you do use have proved trustworthy 99.9% of the time.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Why upgrade at all if current version is doing what you need, half of the time, all of the features are not used and the ones you do use have proved trustworthy 99.9% of the time.
    RR, that may be true. I just get this itch to try something new. Most of the time trying this new is free. In this case I felt that I had such good luck with Acronis that I wanted the the latest version. I was perfectly happy with 2010, but that itch started. What can I say. No kids at home any more to waste my disposable income soooo!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I too prefer to wait for at least one Acronis bug-fix before installing any of their upgrades. But the free price would not wait. Also, if you let your Acronis get two versions behind, older backup archives may not work with the newer version. Acronis only guarantees backward compatibility for two full versions.

This said, I still do not like the True Image 2011 user interface. Many features and options I have used heavily are now buried or shoved off into the upper right corner, completely out of the main frame. And then there is a possible Validation bug. If we wait, there will undoubtedly be more annoyances and bugs to be fixed. I expect this version to be really ready for users by Christmas. But by then, all the introductory and loyalty price discounts may be gone.

I have commented previously on a few other annoyances I've noticed in True Image 2011.

So my advice is, buy or download now, but save the installers and serial keys. Register the Serials at your Acronis on line Account now, but do not install the upgrade yet.

Free tech support is limited to 30 days after registering your Serials, so keep that in mind as well. Although, I have continued to use Acronis Support Live Chat long after the free tech support period has ended. They have never escalated or tried to charge me, but I have not used this contact method for anything more technical than licensing and installation issues. For all else, we at The Lounge, or the folks in the Acronis User Forum can be as much help as the script-drones in India, and our support is free.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Thanks Bob, All my images, disk & system are marked as to which version created them, plus a notepad note of what it contains, then if need be, I can use the recovery CD for tha version. This is a copy of my latest 'note'
    -
    Back-Up Aug 28
    -
    Sys. Restore OFF ok
    C: Indexing OFF ok
    RDC OFF ok
    FP+SWP ok
    Java ok
    Page File 3000x2 ok
    --
    7Zip ok
    Acronis 2010 ok
    Aus Defrag ok
    Avast Free ok
    CCleaner ok
    Deskslide ok
    DirectX ok
    Firefox ok
    Foxit Reader ok
    Outpost F/W Free ok
    Paint.Net ok
    Secunia ok
    SpywBlaster ok
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner greets.

I too use Acronis a lot, I IT some 10+ machines for friends.

I got 2010 but I reverted to v 9. That one served me fine and still does. I tried this morning to use the new imaging app in W-7 but aborted. Seems to me that it will not do a full disk image ( clone ), again seemed to me that I would need to do two runs maybe three, for the three partitions on my HD. Acronis does them all in one sweep.

FWIW, I use a BRM ( Bootable Rescue Media Disk, if this is the right denomination ), it fits on a 3.5 CD, card size thus pocket size. The new TI 2010 needed over the allowed 50 MBs on the small CD, darn. This explains why I am still on v 9. Later in the year, I was looking over the Acronis site for 2010 and I found a D/L-able app that did exactly the same thing and it only needed 37 MBs, great. So, I might try this new one soon but this morning, after trying the W-7 experiment, I was back on the small v 9 BRM. I used a 500 GBs USB CD and it now shows all three partitions from the Acer. I would rather have this than the W-7 app.

FWIW. Be good. JP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Parrot View Post
    Roderunner greets.

I too use Acronis a lot, I IT some 10+ machines for friends.

I got 2010 but I reverted to v 9. That one served me fine and still does. I tried this morning to use the new imaging app in W-7 but aborted. Seems to me that it will not do a full disk image ( clone ), again seemed to me that I would need to do two runs maybe three, for the three partitions on my HD. Acronis does them all in one sweep.

FWIW, I use a BRM ( Bootable Rescue Media Disk, if this is the right denomination ), it fits on a 3.5 CD, card size thus pocket size. The new TI 2010 needed over the allowed 50 MBs on the small CD, darn. This explains why I am still on v 9. Later in the year, I was looking over the Acronis site for 2010 and I found a D/L-able app that did exactly the same thing and it only needed 37 MBs, great. So, I might try this new one soon but this morning, after trying the W-7 experiment, I was back on the small v 9 BRM. I used a 500 GBs USB CD and it now shows all three partitions from the Acer. I would rather have this than the W-7 app.

FWIW. Be good. JP.
    I did Full Image backups (not Clones) using TIH 2011 on both of my laptops. Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit on a single-core processor went just fine, and validated (More on the Validation display bug below). On Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and a Core i5 processor, just fine. TIH 2011 is a lot slower than TIH 2010 on both machines. There are no longer Comments which travel with each Archive -- all Comments now belong to Tasks within the interface, and the Tasks are recycled over and over. Under Windows XP Pro, I was able to insert Windows MetaData for Summary of each archive after making the files. But Win 7 Home Premium will not do the same trick, so I now have Log Files (small Text documents) which travel with each backup set in a Folder. Not convenient, but it works. Within the TIH 2011 Program, I keep my Comments to a minimum now.

Validation displays Time Remaining as hugely overblown numbers which never settle down to more realistic estimates. Even the Tray Icon shows (when the mouse is hovering) estimates which are about one decimal-place wrong (1000% for completion ). Definitely a display bug in there somewhere, and the Acronis Forum has several threads about this bug. It doesn't seem to affect the validation process itself, just the displays are all wacko.

Other than the noticeable slowness compared to the previous version, I think TIH 2011 is OK. Maybe after a bug-fix interim build it will be better. But I have upgraded both of my laptops, and I think I'll stick with the new version.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast