2 Star Lounger
    Jackson, TN
    When I went to Windows 7 - 64 bit, I installed Symantec 2010 firewall and anti-virus. Shortly thereafter my motherboard needed changing out. I had to reinstall Windows 7 and Symantec 2010. That was a week ago. Yesterday (Monday) I noticed Microsoft Security Essentials was also running on my computer. I'm not sure how this happened, but do I need both? I turned off Microsoft Security Essentials and you would have thought I committed some unpardonable computer faux-pas. A menu came up warning me that I was leaving my computer unprotected. Yet, I have Norton's little Green and black icon on my screen telling me that my computer is "Secure." So, what gives?

You should not have 2 separate AV programs running at the same time. Your Security Center must not see the Norton installation, not sure why. I suspect the reinstall did not go well. MSE is a separate app that needs to be download and installed. It is very unusual that it would be on your PC if you did not download it.

If this were my PC, I would start over, format the HD, install your Norton app and see what happens. If you do not download MSE, and have formated the HD, MSE should not be present. I do not believe the Win 7 disks have MSE included on them.
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy