Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 500Gb Primary hard-drive which is 80% full; lots of Music and Photos. Would performance be better if I added a second or third hard-drive and moved the My Pictures to one and My Music to the other drive or go to the trouble of replacing the Primary with a 1T hard-drive and leave everything on it? Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dave,

IMHO buy the second drive and move your entire {My}Documents folder over to it, not just the pictures & music. By doing this you accomplish 2 objectives.
    1. You separate your data from the OS making backups easier and reloads of the OS easier.
    2. You now have 2 disks doing the work previously done by one so the OS can load a new dll while you are loading a data file from the 2nd drive...much more efficient.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A second disk is unlikely to improve performance, more RAM is the best method - unless you have filled the disk up and the swap file is badly fragmented, in which case you can run a defrag.
    A second disk used for backups is a good idea, then you don't lose data if one of them crashes.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A second drive is good, a 1TB is also good (you can always partition it and split the OS and programs from data there as well). The one in there now is close to the 15% open space semi-rule that can start causing things to slow down unless the drive is more carefully maintained and monitored (temp files, fragmentation, recycle bin size, restore point size, etc.).

One may notice a little to moderate performance increase depending on how well the 500 is performing now at 80% full. If you wanted a huge performance increase, get a fast solid state drive, clone the OS and programs over to that and leave the data on the 500.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Byron.........Would your suggestion be like RetiredGeek offerred; but with the NEW Drive holding the OS and Program Files and with the My Documents folder in the older 500Gb Drive? Also how easily; and how do; you CLONE the OS and Programs files? Thanks again!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cloning the old drive is easy. Disk manufacturers provide free software to perform the clone for you - they want you to buy their disks.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Credo View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Byron.........Would your suggestion be like RetiredGeek offerred; but with the NEW Drive holding the OS and Program Files and with the My Documents folder in the older 500Gb Drive? Also how easily; and how do; you CLONE the OS and Programs files? Thanks again!
    Making recommendations on performance without knowing your current usage patterns is complete guesswork. If you decide to purchase a second drive, the only reason to go through the effort of putting the OS & Program Files on it is if the new drive has significantly better performance charateristics than your current system drive. It would be much easier to install the second drive and move your data to it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Get yourself a brand spanking new 10000 RPM VelociRaptor and use it as your primary operating system drive.
    ...Or better yet, get an SSD to use as your primary os drive. (best performance gain)
    Upgrade your memory to maximize the amount of RAM you can have.
    Pick up a few extra drives for storage, chances are you have 6 SATA ports on your board waiting there to be used.
    Organize your operating system so that most of your personal data is separated, and resides on another partition or drive.
    Start fresh, prefer a clean install of the os as opposed to cloning.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also how easily; and how do; you CLONE the OS and Programs files? Thanks again!
    As mentioned, many programs to use in the actual cloning process. I have heard of at least one free one that only seems to work correctly if an image is made first and then restored to the new hard drive, but I would just use the 15 day free trial of Acronis True Image; up to you and other suggestions you may get.

To get just the programs and OS requires backing up all the data from the drive first and having another copy of that data (another backup)...it has to be off the drive and duplicated for safety. Then remove all user data and clean up the drive, defragment. A tip for data removal is to create a new user account and simply delete other user accounts, save the data from the accounts in case there some data you miss that is needed later.

Then clone the pared down and cleaned up drive to the new drive be it SSD or traditional spinning disk. Then when you've switched the drives and made sure all is operational, quick format the old drive and move the allowable and desired data folders over to it and then copy your data from the backup (or the backup backup) to the appropriate folders or other data folders.

If you were just moving to a larger disk then all that needs to be done is disk cleanup (only the one backup which should already be standard practice is needed), then clone it all over, create a new partition if desired (though there may not be enough room to split the drive exactly where you wish) and move the data folders over.

And finally, sure, one can also just install the OS and programs fresh on a new drive, quick format the old drive and move user data folders over and then copy the data backup (or backup of the backup) to the appropriate folders.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've opted for a new 1T HARD DRIVE (sorry ..couldn't afford SSD) which i'm going to MOVE My Documents; My Pictures; and My Music to; leaving the OS and Program files on the Original 500GB "C" Drive. which would then have plenty of room to operate on. HOW do I move all these files? Someone suggested to CUT the Files/Folders to the New Drive after formating it; Then Cleaning up the "C" Drive by defragging. What are your thoughts?? Thanks!

Thanks
    This thread has a very detailed discussion on moving all your data to a separate drive or partition. Formay the new drive as NTFS prior to moving data to it. When the drive is installed, in the search box type Disk Management. This will bring up the Disk Manager. You should see the unallocated new drive listed. Click on it and choose Format.

Be sure you choose the correct drive! Make sure your Win 7 drive is labeled so that you can see it and identify it easily. You DO NOT want to choose the wrong drive to format!

Moving the data to the new drive is a very easy process. If you use this process the new data path will be automatically added to your apps. Cut and Paste may or may not identify the new data path.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One area of hidden performance is in the cluster size. If you increase the cluster size to 32K you will decrease the rotational delay on the drive considerably. Of course there is no free lunch. The space that your files occupy will increase slightly.

I have been doing this type of performance adjustment on all new drives during the format process with great success.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The new hard drive is in; formatted; and ready for the Folders to be moved from the Primary "C" to the secondary "B" Drive. ********** Can I CUT the "Users" Folder on "C" and paste it on the secondary Drive "B" Then delete the "Users" folder from "C"????????????? Defrag the primary and move on toward better performance?? Thanks for your help. I'm sure you can tell that this is new to me.

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Credo View Post
    The new hard drive is in; formatted; and ready for the Folders to be moved from the Primary "C" to the secondary "B" Drive. ********** Can I CUT the "Users" Folder on "C" and paste it on the secondary Drive "B" Then delete the "Users" folder from "C"????????????? Defrag the primary and move on toward better performance?? Thanks for your help. I'm sure you can tell that this is new to me.
    Dave,

COPY do not cut the files to the new drive. I'd make a folder called DaveDocs or some similar to copy the contents of the {My} Documents folder into it.

Once this is done in Explorer:
    Right Click {My} Documents, depending on OS Version
    Click Properties {Win 7 screen below} - Note: the graphic shows the Public\Documents because I already moved Documents on this machine.
    Find the Location Tab
    Change to the new drive:\folder
    Click Apply
    Click Save

Check it out by entering explorer and selecting {My} Documents and see which drive it points at. If it is your new drive:\folder you can then delete the {My} Documents from your C: drive.

I've attached an extract of a Microsoft article on this for XP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast