New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a book finished and ready to print but in proofing the copy from CreateSpace we see that the TOC and Index, which were correct in Microsoft Word for Mac, when converted to a PDF to meet the requirement of CreateSpace uploading somehow was changed. The page number do no match up AND they are not the page #s that were list prior to conversion to PDF. This is so ILLOGICAL that I am beside myself and am at a loss as to what to do. EVERY TIME I convert, the #s change. I thought WYSIWYG was literal! Someone please help. We've worked so hard for 8 years and now we are STUCK!!!!

Thanks
    I can not answer your question directly, however have you verified:
    * The margins are the same for the pdf conversion?
    * Are the fonts being changed in the conversion?
    * Do you have any (or all) 'hard' page breaks in your original document?
    Maybe someone can help if we knew how or what converter you are using to produce the pdf and exactly what options are used.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess Kielman View Post
    ...the TOC and Index, which were correct in Microsoft Word for Mac, when converted to a PDF to meet the requirement of CreateSpace uploading somehow was changed. The page number do no match up AND they are not the page #s that were list prior to conversion to PDF.
    I suggest reading the following after saving a copy of the document.

A Table of Contents is dynamically generated by a field code. You can lock a field so that it does not update (you can unlock it to update it), and you also can convert the field to the text of its results, i.e., prevent it from every updating again (this is called unlinking).

There are keyboard shortcuts for these two commands on Windows, but don't know about Mac. If you call up the shortcut/context menu for the TOC, does it have Lock and Unlink options?

I assume an Index also is a field, so you could try the same thing there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Jefferson pointed out the fields are dynamic content and will update according to the pagination. Although you can lock the TOC, if the pagination changes for the print then the TOC numbers are going to be pointing to the pages where the content used to sit rather than where it has moved to.

The problem you are encountering is caused by Word repaginating the document according to the printer driver chosen. This is necessary because different printers have different printer metrics and installed font metrics. You need to repaginate the document using the printer driver you are about to print to. I can tell you how to do this using a PC but don't know the dialogs well enough in a Mac. Basically you need to choose the PDF printer driver first, then paginate your document, then update the index and TOC, then print to PDF.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia