New Lounger
    Thanks
    As I have done for years, under W2K and WXP,I have used a number of utilities (SharpKeys, ReMapKey, etc) to swap my CAPS LOCK and my left CTRL keys under Win 7. The utilities all agree that the current Registry settings should swap those two keys.

Strangely, while tapping the new CAPS LOCK key now does alter the Caps Lock LED, using the new CTRL key does not allow me to do a CTRL-C to copy or a CTRL-V to paste. I just get a "C" or a "V" instead. The right CTRL key still works OK. It is as if the left [re-mapped] CTRL has simply stopped doing anything at all while the [remapped] CAPS LOCK is working.

CTRL-C sometimes works when I am remoting into other computers (but they also have the same keys swapped); sometimes it works if I press CTRL and then C VERY QUICKLY, as if something is monitoring the new CTRL key and allowing it to be a CTRL function if I do it within the first 1/4 sec, but not afterwards. I don't know what program or feature would be doing this.

I have a Wacom tablet, which may be trying to help me in some way. I am unfamiliar with how Windows 7 should work, so I don't know which behaviors are Windows and which might be related to other devices I'm using. For example, if I press the left "mouse" button down (on the Wacom Bamboo tablet) and hold it down, after a second or two, the icon becomes a circle, and the context menu (which is usually brought up with the right mouse button) appears. I seem to have lots of programs trying to be helpful, but no idea which ones are doing what, and how to control them.

Very strange. Any thoughts?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It turns out that all of this bizarre behavior was due to a bad keyboard!