Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a memo form that I created for one of my clients a while ago.

Pretty standard with a To, From and Date etc. They have asked if there is any way that if there is a second page, that the footer on the second page contains the values from the first page of the To and the Date:. When I set this up it was basically a table format for the info section (From, To, Date; Subject).

My question is how do I do this? Can I set up the To response area of the form as a field and then reference the field in the footer of page 2. I only have a hazy idea of how to do this so any help, web links etc. would be much appreciated.

Sample attached I deleted the header which had identifying info. Saved as Word 2003 doc not a template.

Thanks
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    John,

It should be pretty simple to do this using StyleRef fields:

First off, you'll need to set up your template so the page layout features "Different first page" - that way you can have a footer appear on page 2 onwards, that differs from the first page footer.

For each of the items that you need to reproduce in the continuation page footer, create a dedicated style. The dedicated styles can be based on Normal style, which you're using throughout the table here - each dedicated style can be identical in its properties to Normal style, just with its own specific name.

Alter your table so that the "To", "From" and "Date" text that is to be filled in, is each in its own separate cell. Apply the appropriate dedicated style to each of these cells.

In the continuation page footer, insert StyleRef fields that link to each of your dedicated style names. Because they are in the footer, the StyleRef fields will automatically update to reflect whatever is typed in for To, From, or Date at the beginning of the memo.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gary, works like a charm.

I liked your clear concise erudite response!

John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=89798:Smaple Memorandum.doc]Select Different First Page option in the Layout tab of Page Setup.

Format the To cell with a new style 1 and the From Cell with another style 2.

In the second page Footer, add To: StyleRef 1 field and From: StyleRef 2 field.

See the attached edited document. I have used the style names "To Style" and "From Style". You won't see the footer until the second page is created (just insert a page break as a test).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary et al—

I've read this thread with great interest. I have a similar situation, but with a twist.

The first page of my document has these standard elements: Office symbol (typically XXXX-YY) and date on the first line, followed by a blank line. (The office symbol is flush left; the date is flush right.) On the next line is SUBJECT: XXXXX XXX XXXXX. For what it's worth, date autopopulates—it's a { DATE } field.

If there's a second page, the office symbol (but not the date) appears on the first line of the header. The subject appears on the second line.

I followed your advice and assigned distinctive styles to the office symbol/date paragraph on page 1 and to the SUBJECT: line. Then I inserted StyleRef fields in the header for page 2. It all works just as you describe. However, I don't need the date to appear on the second page. The solution, it seems, is to somehow distinguish the date item in the first paragraph on page 1. The Style Separator came to mind, but I've had exactly one opportunity to use it—that was several years ago with an older version of Word. Can you point me to a way to deal with this situation, either with the Style Separator or something else. Thanks!

I just now had a blinding flash: What if I put the office symbol and date items into a one-row, two column invisible table. Would that work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Caesar3

You could use styleref by either using a Character Style or a table cell to limit the text. Of these two choices, I would recommend the table cells because there is less things that can go wrong with it.

Another alternative that I am using more nowdays is to make use of the Content Controls feature of Word 2007 and Word 2010. The benefits of using the Content Controls are that the associated document metadata is updated automatically and you can edit any instance of the Content Control and the other instances change immediately (don't wait for a field update). The easiest way to use a Content Control is to go to Insert > Quick Parts > Document Property and choose one of the document properties that appears there. Do the same for the other locations where this same metadata is required.

Content Controls won't work with earlier versions of Word (doc format doesn't support the feature) though so if some users open with 2003 then you are stuck with the styleref solution.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Content controls.... Wow, what will they think of next? Thanks for that tip, Andrew! I'll have to try that. First, though, I'll try the table idea. Then I'll study the content controls. There's always something new to learn!