Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I want to increase the USB add-on hard drive size on my cable DVR but don't want to loose the recorded material on the old hard drive. Has anyone tried to do a full disk image of this kind of drive using disk image software and moving the image to another drive?

Related: Is there a way to mark a USB drive as read-only so I can make some tries at making the above described move?

Thanks for any information.

The NC Doc

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Simmons View Post
    I want to increase the USB add-on hard drive size on my cable DVR but don't want to loose the recorded material on the old hard drive. Has anyone tried to do a full disk image of this kind of drive using disk image software and moving the image to another drive?

Related: Is there a way to mark a USB drive as read-only so I can make some tries at making the above described move?

Thanks for any information.

The NC Doc
    Douglas,
    Hello... I have never tried this but have a few questions...
    1. Does Windows see the drive ? If yes can you "view" the data?
    2. What Imaging system are you using ? (or planning to use) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings:
    Beware: If you haven't already connected your DVR's HDD to a Windows system don't.
    First, although I am NOT familiar with any CABLE DVRs that utilize external HDDs for storage, the ones I've read about do not use the same disk directory structure as PC HDDs!
    In particular, PC HDDs make little use of the first track beyond the Master Boot Record/Partition Table. That cannot be said of most DVR HDDs. When first connected to an active Windows system, the OS performs a write operation on the first track which MAY overwrite needed code/data with no hope of restoring it!
    Experimenting on a DVR HDD should be done on an MS-DOS (or Linux) system that makes NO destructive writes during startup permitting the drive to be cloned before being "examined" using utility tools, etc.
    HTH
    Doc