New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to remove Norton Internet Security and rely upon Microsoft Security Essentials. I have both and need to know how to proceed.

Thanks
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product first.
    Then run CCleaner in both clean and registry fix modes. Boot computer and make sure all traces of the Norton suit are gone.
    Once the above has been done successfully, you should be ready to install the MSE.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The last time I tried the Norton Removal Tool, it provided less than admirable results. I do have to admit it has been a few years. I might consider Revo Uninstaller because of my past experience with Norton. Another possible alternative is Absolute Uninstaller. Either of these apps has been highly touted in these forums and both are free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My impression is that you can remove it any way you please, but Norton has historically had a reputation for leaving files behind no matter what you do. That is when you run the Norton Removal Tool for a really clean machine, only to discover more Norton a week later because you installed something new that includes a Norton 'scanner' or some wacky thing along with what you thought you were installing. Revo is excellent, and Revo Pro, which is chiefly for 64-bit machines is even better. You can download a trial if you haven't done so already, but it is best kept for the day when you really need some serious uninstalling.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is an example of a probably-unwanted and unsolicited Norton program (which is the one I was trying to think of when I wrote my post): if you install Adobe Shockwave you will also have a Norton 'utility' installed UNLESS you UNCHECK the pre-checked box that says you're getting it. I think it's the type of program that looks around and sagely informs you that you urgently need to purchase one of their utility suites to fix what it has found wrong with your computer.

Thanks
    The cheapest & cleanest way to uninstall any complex program like Norton, is to do it manually.
    1 Disable all of it's running processes with Task Manager or Process Explorer.
    2 Uninstall the app with it's own uninstaller or the control panel's. Alow the computer to boot if it requests to do so.
    3 Run a thorough cleanup with a program like CCleaner and use it's registry mode as well.
    4 Search and delete it's root folder from the programs section and any other hidden locations.
    5 search the registry for any reference to the app in question and delete all applicable entries.

No need for any third party apps like Revo, or any other "specific app uninstaller".
    Only requires patience and diligence.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have done this method in the past as well, but it does take time and patience.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy