Thread: Doorman needed

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a BENQ DVD LS DW1655 DVD writer installed in my workstation, which is running Windows XP SP3. Device manager reports that it is "working properly", and indeed, it reads / writes DVDs and CDs just fine.

However, I cannot open the drive door when the "open" button is pressed! I can hear it sort of moan and groan for two minutes or more when I press the button, but it eventually just gives up and just sits there, acting ashamed. My workaround is to open windows explorer, right click on the drive letter, and choose "eject". This, after a 5-10 second delay, opens the drive door as if nothing were wrong. So the thing works fine when it receives a digital command, but completely ignores a physical/mechanical request! (This seems intuitively backwards to me.)

I've tried disabling the device, re-installing the driver, etc., all to no avail

Any further suggestions?

Thanks
    The mechanical actuation of the drive may be defective. Do you have an old spare around you could swap out for a test?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    The mechanical actuation of the drive may be defective. Do you have an old spare around you could swap out for a test?
    Well, the "mechanical actuation" IS defective. That's the problem. I have a second drive by ATAPI in the bay next door that works just fine. On rare occasions, pressing the BENQs door button will work (1 in 50 times), but there's always a 60 - 80 second delay before the "open" function kicks in.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The door button is a digital signal, it just presses a switch that tells the drive to start the motor that drives the door mechanism. Sounds like your switch has gone to god.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the drive facade-mounted so that either the eject button relays to the actual eject button or the tray door pushes through a cover? Those can easily jam with a slight shift caused by pressing on the facade button. Not as likely if its the acutal button and tray and harder to figure out and correct any mechanical or electrical problem caused by the linkage from the eject button inside the drive. In that case the workaround is probably the only solution to continued use.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what "facade mounted" means, but the entire front plates of the drives are visible. When I press the button of the defective drive, I get bumping and whirring sounds, so I know the electrical conncetion still works. Oh yes, one other thing, if a disc is in the drive, the "eject" button works! It only fails if the drive is empty. Strange, eh?

I do like the "gone to God" explanation . . .

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If pushing the button makes the drive whir and bump then the switch has not gone to god. ;-))
    Does Eject in Explorer work if you do not have a disk loaded? If so you may have an alignment problem with the drive facia and pressing the button makes the tray stick. Either way you may be in for a new drive soon.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Feldmann View Post
    I do like the "gone to God" explanation . . .

Give it a proper burial and buy a new one. They are relatively cheap now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Give it a proper burial and buy a new one. They are relatively cheap now.
    When I think aboutg all the technology built into one of these drives and compare it to the price paid I am in awe....

I'm actually thinking of hooking up an old 5 1/4 inch floppy drive to see if it still works. Anyone remember those?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm actually thinking of hooking up an old 5 1/4 inch floppy drive to see if it still works. Anyone remember those?
    Still have one in a drawer, I think it even works, and I think about hooking it back up, I do have some old 5 and a quarter floppies, not sure what's on them; and then I think...what could possibly be on them except worthless junk, long-since outdated and useless? So I never get around to it; the surface of the floppy would probably just completely flake off as it was trying to read anyway right?

Thanks
    I remember having 2 floppy drives and putting the app (I think located on 1) and data located on 2. Back in the days before RAM could hold the app. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, it's been a looooong time!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Gosh Ted, I can remeber those days. Using a WANG PC, cost over $10K, and had one of the first Word Processing programmes and also Lotus 123.
    App disk, data disk, Oh how we have changed.
    Seem to recall though that he response time, (after everything loaded) was better than it is today
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

Thanks
    If I remember correctly we used Compac at work, with word perfect? Gosh that was long ago, early 80's I think. I left that employer in 88 so had to be sometime in the early to mid eighties. Brings back fond..... nightmares! He, He, He Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted