Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poedunque
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have two pcs running Window XP (1 is on WinXP home) the other Win XP Pro)
    Windows keeps telling me I need to install security updates for Netframework 2.0 and 3.5, Windows server 2003 and Windows XP (this is all in one update offering)
    I have lost track of how many times I have let it try but the notice keeps coming back. I can't believe I'm the only person who has this problem.
    It's things like this that make me seriously consider buying a MacBook Pro.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Deadeye81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,654
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 113 Times in 97 Posts
    M Flood, have you tried to update by temporarily turning off your active security software? This sometimes helps.

    If that does not help, then try booting in safe mode with networking and go to Windows Update on try downloading and installing.
    Deadeye81

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poedunque
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gerald;
    I have tried (your suggestion) turning off A/V and that didn't work. I'll try the Safe Mode install (ASAP)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Burrton, KS, USA
    Posts
    833
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    No you are not the only one. (and the solution will make you want to go back to your Mac)

    Do you have Quickbooks installed?

    Which exact KB # is giving you the problem?

    Quickbooks 2010 blocks one of the installs. There is a way to force it to install but it will make Quickbooks unstable. I have one customer where we have had to hide one of the .Net frameworks updates because of this and if you have the KB # I will check if this is the one. If you choose to fix the problem correctly (and are sure that it will not break any of your mission critical programs) you will need to uninstall all versions of the framework and reinstall (a huge, time consuming, nerve racking pain). If they are corrupted to the point that they will not uninstall with windows uninstaller, follow the steps here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...8/8904493.aspx

    There may be other programs that like quickbooks block the updates because they have incompatibilities. Quickbooks is the one I am most familiar with.

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poedunque
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    No you are not the only one. (and the solution will make you want to go back to your Mac)

    Do you have Quickbooks installed?

    Which exact KB # is giving you the problem?

    Quickbooks 2010 blocks one of the installs. There is a way to force it to install but it will make Quickbooks unstable. I have one customer where we have had to hide one of the .Net frameworks updates because of this and if you have the KB # I will check if this is the one. If you choose to fix the problem correctly (and are sure that it will not break any of your mission critical programs) you will need to uninstall all versions of the framework and reinstall (a huge, time consuming, nerve racking pain). If they are corrupted to the point that they will not uninstall with windows uninstaller, follow the steps here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...8/8904493.aspx

    There may be other programs that like quickbooks block the updates because they have incompatibilities. Quickbooks is the one I am most familiar with.
    Thanks for taking time to provide additional suggestions. I don't have Quickbooks. As for attempting all the steps suggested in the use of the Netframeworks removal too. . .There is NO WAY I'll spend the time trying to do something that complex and face the possibility of ending up with a non-functioning PC.
    Microsoft is too busy protecting their patents and developing things to replace what they have already made that's full of flaws. If they are so smart why to we have to rely on others to generate solutions to Microsofts flawed products. I'll just live with the albatross of "Windows Updates":

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brownstown Mi 48183 USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have had the same problem with .net Framework updates.
    I have several that fail when I try to update.
    Over and over again. Yes, shut down firewall, and virus program.
    Yes checked with many virus scanners for trojans and rootkits.
    Sometimes they appear to install and yet the next check reinstalls them again.
    I do a search for each update installed after restarting my PC.
    They are only temporary files.
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)
    This one shows in Microsoft updates history as being installed 3 times in a row. And a green check mark to okay it.
    And yet Microsoft updates shows time after time this needs to be updated and installed.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,584
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shippe View Post
    I have had the same problem with .net Framework updates.
    I have several that fail when I try to update.
    Over and over again. Yes, shut down firewall, and virus program.
    Yes checked with many virus scanners for trojans and rootkits.
    Sometimes they appear to install and yet the next check reinstalls them again.
    I do a search for each update installed after restarting my PC.
    They are only temporary files.
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)
    This one shows in Microsoft updates history as being installed 3 times in a row. And a green check mark to okay it.
    And yet Microsoft updates shows time after time this needs to be updated and installed.
    Sometimes the only way to fix .NET update problems is to completely uninstall .NET and reinstall from scratch. If you choose to do this, check to see which versions you have installed. Uninstall from the newest version to the oldest version. If you have problems uninstalling .NET see .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide - Aaron Stebner's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs. Search the Microsoft download center for the .NET versions you need to install. Install from the oldest to the newest.

    Note: you should backup your system before starting something this extensive.

    Joe
    Joe

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Sometimes the only way to fix .NET update problems is to completely uninstall .NET and reinstall from scratch. If you choose to do this, check to see which versions you have installed. Uninstall from the newest version to the oldest version. If you have problems uninstalling .NET see .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide - Aaron Stebner's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs. Search the Microsoft download center for the .NET versions you need to install. Install from the oldest to the newest.

    Note: you should backup your system before starting something this extensive.

    Joe
    I'm having the same problem. I tried the simple fixes suggested on MS site with no luck. The only versions I had on my computer were 1.0 and 1.1. I then attempted the uninstall and reinstall fix which failed miserably. I can't install version 1 as Windows tells me that it is not compatible with with my version of XP, which is SP3. Do I really need .Net installed?

    I did run the .Net cleanup tool before trying to install. Any suggestions to try next?

  9. #9
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Arriving Somewhere but not Here
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't remember the details but I do know that certain .NET updates will only install if the underlying framework has NO hot fixes applied to it. At home I have a HP laptop that will not swallow a .NET 1.1 update for this reason. A google search on the update plus 'fails to install' took me to a pertinant MS page that told me about the hot fixes getting in the way.

    The recommended fix was to uninstall the hot fix and then apply the update. However, when I tried to do that I didn't seem to be able to remove the hot fix. Time was short so I did not pursue it any further at that time. That was a long time ago and I've still not had time to [s]waste[/s], sorry, spend on this issue. As yet the sky has not fallen on me so it looks like it will wait a little longer still!

    stuck

  10. #10
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    185
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark SMallwood View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I tried the simple fixes suggested on MS site with no luck. The only versions I had on my computer were 1.0 and 1.1. I then attempted the uninstall and reinstall fix which failed miserably. I can't install version 1 as Windows tells me that it is not compatible with with my version of XP, which is SP3. Do I really need .Net installed?

    I did run the .Net cleanup tool before trying to install. Any suggestions to try next?
    do you really need .Net installed? yes but you already have sp3, if none of your softwares or any programs requires you to install it dont bother

  11. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks, unless I get a program complain, looks like I'm happy without it.

  12. #12
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Poedunque
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M Flood View Post
    I have two pcs running Window XP (1 is on WinXP home) the other Win XP Pro)
    Windows keeps telling me I need to install security updates for Netframework 2.0 and 3.5, Windows server 2003 and Windows XP (this is all in one update offering)
    I have lost track of how many times I have let it try but the notice keeps coming back. I can't believe I'm the only person who has this problem.
    It's things like this that make me seriously consider buying a MacBook Pro.
    I found a message (somewhere) that said this problem could be resolved by removing ALL the Hotfixes related to .net framework. Firguring that I didn't have much to lose by trying that I did. Only one said it could not be removed. Voila. No more "update needed" messages. So far, so good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •