hdelk

Office 2KSBE - Move it!

I have MSO 2K SBE which came pre-installed on an IBM Thinkpad. It can be re-installed only from the IBM Reinstall disk (no MS install disks came with the laptop. I now have a Dell desktop on which I wish to install SBE (and "retire" it from the laptop legally). How might I affect this desire. I wish to remain legal, but do not feel I should have to buy a new copy. Yep, I've delved into the depths of the re-install disk (IMZ files), but cannot find a setup or install exe just for SBE. It's all or none ... and, of course, will only run on the IBM. There is no mention of a serial number or anything in the docs and a reinstall on the laptop does not ask for one. Any ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2KSBE - Move it!

Many lifetimes ago, I purchased out of the box PCs (Packard Bell/Compaq etc.) They invariably came with quite proprietary OEM versions of OS. These were designed to install only on that system make and model. This sounds very similar. [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]

hdelk

Thanks Brian, the thing is I expect this w/an OS, but not with an application suite. We are paying for the software in the price of the computer and seems unfair to have to repurchase what you've already paid for once. I just want to continue using what I already have. And the Dell came with MS Works ... gag!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you should have recieved an office cd with the system. you can call IBM and ask for a OEM disk. Tell them you want to use a newer OS and reformat but can't get SBE installed. If that doesn't work, and you have the orginial office, call and ask for SR1 full cd set.

like it or not, the software you get bundled with systems is for those systems only. Not sure how the suite lic reads, but the OS lic would be for the specific OEM machine. I suspect the suite lic is for use only on that machine too tho.

Most systems don't give you a choice of what software is included and others let you choose between packages. If you tell them not to send an os or other software, only drivers, they don't usually give a discount either, centainly not one that is worth the retail value of the software. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The cd i have of word 2000 that came with my HP specifically says OEM on it and while i think i could install it on any machine, have not had a desire to try since i own full versions of office.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It has always been my understanding with MS software incl. O2K, that if you are the rightful owner, you may have the program on your PC and a laptop at the same time as long as you only use one at a time.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Correct, for most applications. Not for OSs. This is based on the premise that you will either be using the laptop or the desktop. It's based on the book theory, only one person can read a book at a time and if you were using the laptop, no one would be using the desktop.

This also is based on the premise that you buy the software retail, not as part of an OEM package. The lic agreements on OEM software is different than regular retail. The OEM is lic to install the software on their machine and the buyer agrees to the abide by the OEM lic.

Not that most buyers ever read the agreements, I know I normally don't, except when really bored. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Without actually reading the lic agreement that came with the SBE copy in question, it's hard to say if it has the laptop clause. The point is moot unless the person can get it installed on a different machine, which is unlikely if the only media is the restore disk.