4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows XP SP3 Home edition and Outlook Express 6. Whenever I click on a link in an email the cursor turns into a pointing finger and the full link address shows up at the botom of the screen. But nothing more happens and the cursor is inoperative anywhere. Eventually it returns to its normal state and I have to click on the link again. It sometimes takes several efforts and many minutes before the link opens.Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Philkiwi, When did this behavior start? Have you installed any new software before this behavior began?

Whatever is causing this could be a blessing in disguise. Clicking a link in the body of an email is risky for your computer's security. It is much safer to go to your browser and go directly to the site that clicking the link would take you. You never know when a link in an email is going to take you on a painful journey.

Maybe your security software makes it difficult to click an internet link in email. Try checking the settings in your security software regarding email.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure how long this behaviour has been going on and therfeore cannot answer your nquestion regarding installing new software. As for the wisdom or otherwise of clicking links in email, I only do this with emails from trusted organisations such as the local newspaper, email newsletters from trustworthy sites etc. I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 and there is no mention of email links that I can see.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know nothing of NIS 2010 but a quick Google shows it scans links in emails for potential danger on the other end. That sort of activity has to take time so looking further within NIS 2010 for the settings that control it would be a sensible thing to do.

stuck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I said in my reply to Gerald Shepard I can find no mention of email links in NIS 2010.

Thanks
    Hi Philkiwi

This article gives a good discussion of the most common reasons for this problem:

- firewall or popup blocker
    - internet options
    - register urlmon.dll
    - default program for html

http://www.logicaltips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=606

Hope it helps
    Jock