4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win XP Pro, SP2.

A long while ago, I changed a setting so that the "behind the scenes" information that normally scrolls by during the boot process does not show on the screen (I'm not talking about the screen that allows a selection between a normal boot or the recovery console - I've set this to show for a short time). I now would like to see that information again, but I can't remember what settings to change to allow it to show.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Could it be msconfig.exe?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Les,

If you are referring to the ability to see the BIOS post check, memory check and the posting of all the startup info scrolling down the screen, then that is normally a setting that is changed within the BIOS setup. Is is called different things on different BIOS - the hiding of the info is called Quiet Boot, or Quick Boot, something along those lines. You can toggle it enable/disable within the BIOS.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi Les

Are you talking about the /noguiboot option in the boot.ini line that configures/launches Win XP ?

This article discusses how to edit boot.ini (and most importantly how to back it up first!):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

And this one describes the various switches available, including noguiboot:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

Jock

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for responding. In a way, you were all correct.

Gerald, you were correct that I can choose to enable the boot diagniostic screen from the BIOS (which I did). This provides some info that I was interested in.

Jock, the /noguiboot option in the boot.ini file disables the bitmap that displays the progress bar for Windows startup. (The progress bar appears just before the logon prompt.) And as Ted suggested, the easiest way to edit the boot.ini file to include this switch is via msconfig.exe. When I did this, the normal boot screen showing the Windows flag and progress bar was disabled, and I had a blank screen during that period. What I was hoping was to see what was going on during that period of the boot process, but the edit merely eliminated the graphic.

Anyway, all your suggestions helped me learn a bit more. Thank you.