4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Fred Langa wrote an article entitled Preparing Windows XP for the long haul. He said that the $NtUninstall files serve no purpose and should be deleted. When I did a search on my computer for $NtUninstall, I got a long list of entries. However, when I searched my C: drive (Windows), I found only $NtUninstallKB975025$. When I double clicked it, there were two files of which I could make no sense. lf I delete NtUninstallKB975025$, will I also be deleting that long list of similar entries?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

Fred Langa wrote an article entitled Preparing Windows XP for the long haul. He said that the $NtUninstall files serve no purpose and should be deleted. When I did a search on my computer for $NtUninstall, I got a long list of entries. However, when I searched my C: drive (Windows), I found only $NtUninstallKB975025$. When I double clicked it, there were two files of which I could make no sense. lf I delete NtUninstallKB975025$, will I also be deleting that long list of similar entries?

Thank you.
    Where were the rest of the entries found? You should be able to choose and delete right from the search results box.

To answer, the entry found in C is only one update, KB975025
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    To view all the folders, in Windows Explorer go to Tools | Folder Options | View. Then select "Show Hidden Files and Folders". There should be a folder for each hotfix that has been installed. The contents of these folders may be used to uninstall a particular patch. As long as your system is stable you can safely delete the folders. When you apply monthly Microsoft patches you'll see the folders appearing again.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted and JoeP for your help.

I tried to delete the entries from the search results page, but I got the message that it could not be done because the items could not be found; the search results showed that they were on C: drive but nothing more. So I followed Joe's instructions and was able to delete all 27 entries from the Windows folder on my C: drive. (I did not see these files the first time I looked because they were hidden.)

You all have a real good one...and many thanks again.

moon

Thanks
    Further down in the Windows folder, you will also find a KB??????.log file for each of those folders you deleted. Those log files can and should be deleted too.

Keeping a CLEAN hard drive isn't Rocket Science, but does require some time and effort.
    Doing a cleanup like described in this thread, should be done before you make a C: drive backup, to lessen the size of the backup.
    By doing a massive cleanup before doing my own backups, I knock off about 4 gig's of junk that never winds up in my backup files.

good luck,
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I agree. I never create an Image until cleaning up as many of the temp and junk files as I can find, both with an enhanced cleanup .bat file and CCleaner (Never had a single problem with CCleaner). After getting all gone (including all temp internet stuiff and prefetch) I defrag with Auslogics, then use Acronis to Image. My Images have saved me hungreds of hours of work restoring my disk after I screwed something up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy