New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

This is my first post. I've started a new thread because I'm sure where my problem would be relevant. I bought a dual core, twin hard drive Packard Bell recently. It was running Windows 7 which for the brief time I was able to use it, I liked very much. My aim in buying the computer was to use it with Win 7 and Ubuntu Studio, so I could run a family computer and have my mini recording studio - I didn't think that was too much to ask of a computer or OS these days.
    I have installed Ubuntu Studio and it works - hence this message - but Windows 7 has disappeared. I can see the files via Linux but it just won't boot. Yes I have tried all the usual methods. Alt+F10 doesn't work. The recovery discs do not work. I keep getting error message 0x3ed - the volume does not contain a recognised file system.

I backed up all data to an external drive and all I want to do now is get Windows 7 back. If i don't, my wife and kids are promising serious retribution Anyone got any ideas? I would be so grateful.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Almond View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post. I've started a new thread because I'm sure where my problem would be relevant. I bought a dual core, twin hard drive Packard Bell recently. It was running Windows 7 which for the brief time I was able to use it, I liked very much. My aim in buying the computer was to use it with Win 7 and Ubuntu Studio, so I could run a family computer and have my mini recording studio - I didn't think that was too much to ask of a computer or OS these days.
    I have installed Ubuntu Studio and it works - hence this message - but Windows 7 has disappeared. I can see the files via Linux but it just won't boot. Yes I have tried all the usual methods. Alt+F10 doesn't work. The recovery discs do not work. I keep getting error message 0x3ed - the volume does not contain a recognised file system.

I backed up all data to an external drive and all I want to do now is get Windows 7 back. If i don't, my wife and kids are promising serious retribution Anyone got any ideas? I would be so grateful.
    Michael,
    Hello.... A few questions
    1. How was "Ubuntu Studio" installed ...Did you load the Whole Linux "Distro" (Ubuntu)
    2. Have you tried to "boot" the windows HD from your "BIOS".(seeing how you can't boot normally)
    3. Does BIOS see your Windows HD?
    4. If you can boot into Linux, does Linux see your "Windows" disk?
    5. How are you HD's configured? Windows 7 on one, and Linux on the other, or is it a "partitioned" setup ?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

I installed Ubuntu Studio from a CD. I don't think the whole thing was installed because it only used 16gb.

I'm not really sure how to boot from the Bios but I've tried Alt+F10 which should get into Recovery Manager on this machine. It does not work.

I don't think the Bios can see Windows.

I can see Windows files, so there is something there.

The install partitioned the hard drive on which it is installed along with Windows 7.

Thanks for your interest,

regards, Michael

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

I installed Ubuntu Studio from a CD. I don't think the whole thing was installed because it only used 16gb.

I'm not really sure how to boot from the Bios but I've tried Alt+F10 which should get into Recovery Manager on this machine. It does not work.

I don't think the Bios can see Windows.

I can see Windows files, so there is something there.

The install partitioned the hard drive on which it is installed along with Windows 7.

Thanks for your interest,

regards, Michael
    Hi Michael,
    Sounds like to me that you installed "Ubuntu" as it set itself up as the "big dog"...16GB that is more than enough for the "whole shooten match" (of Linux Ubuntu)
    1. To get into BIOS (on my PC) upon booting i hit F-10...for settings ..and Esc for boot menu. ( Boot Menu is the one you want ) Once in to the Menu ...select your windows 7 partition and hit "enter" you may be able to boot into "7" from there .
    2. If your in windows go to "NeoSmart Technoligies" http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...94B1837FB6D5DE and down load EasyBCD . read through all the stuff and install .
    3. Once loaded you will be able to select whichever "OS" you want at boot time .
    4. Post back ... i hope that you didn't by accident install "Ubuntu" and delete "7" . When i have installed Linux i have always physically disconnect my "main HD" so Linux can't do what it wants to... Install itself as Default OS. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for geting back , Fred.

I have deleted the Linux partition and have managed to use the recovery discs.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ubuntu has gone completely becauseb when I boot from the hard drive, the Lionux grub appears.
    It reports error 17 and asks 'please wait'. Then..... nothing.
    I think I'm getting there but how do I get rid of GRUB?

regards,

Michael

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that you need to repair the Master Boot Record (MBR). The Win 7 installation disks have an option to do that. See http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

By the way, what Grub does is place some code in the MBR to load the rest of Grub form the Linux partition. Since you removed that partition, the Grub code in the BMR is giving the error you are seeing. The MBR repair for Win 7 will replace that code with other code that loads up the Windows boot code.

Thanks
    Thanks for geting back , Fred.

I have deleted the Linux partition and have managed to use the recovery discs.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ubuntu has gone completely becauseb when I boot from the hard drive, the Lionux grub appears.
    It reports error 17 and asks 'please wait'. Then..... nothing.
    I think I'm getting there but how do I get rid of GRUB?

regards,

Michael

Read my thread here for a detailed description of this.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy