New Lounger
    Thanks
    I work for the IT dept of a large organization with a number of laptop users. We do not generally grant Local Admin, but we would like the users to be able to repair wireless connections, and re-enable them if they accidentally right-click the icon in the system tray and click "Disable" (unfortunately the users have the Disable option available without local admin, but not repair). Adding the users to the Network Configuration Operators group allows them that access, however, the issue is that when disabling wireless via the icon in the system tray the icon disappears. The users do not have the right to open Network Connections in the Control Panel, nor can they enable from Device Manager, so they still cannot enable wireless. I have tried a number of things to force the icon to stay in the system tray if disabled but nothing has worked so far. I would appreciate advice from someone who has already dealt successfully with this issue.
    Thanks
    Gloria

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge GloiaM
    If all your laptop users are all running XP, they could access 'safe mode' and sign on as administrator, reactivate wireless then reboot.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If the users are physically here we can log on as administrator and enable the wireless. The issue is that sometimes the users accidentally disable the wireless when they are at home or out of town, and they do not have administrator privileges to log on and enable it. I'm trying to find a way to allow the users to enable it without granting them local admin. If I grant Network Configuration Operator they will have the privilege, but cannot use it when the icon disappears, and they cannot open the Network Connections icon in the Control Panel to re-enable - so I'm still stuck as to how to let the standard users re-enable the wireless without local admin.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Can you create a batch run to re-enable the wireless and set it up in Task Scheduler as a one time task with administrative credentials. Then you should be able to create a shortcut to run the task.

Joe
    Joe