New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 HP IE 8...I periodically deleted the Windows Update Uninstall files at %NTUninstall in Win XP as part of my clean up process. Can't find these in Win 7. Does Win 7 delete uninstall files on it's own? Are they called something else in Win 7? Where are they and how can I delete the uninstall files?

Phil

Thanks
    The downloaded update files are located in Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. The subfolders and files can be deleted with Administrator privileges.

As an alternative, you can also rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistributionOld, and reboot. Windows will build a fresh SoftwareDistribution folder and populate it, and all the old downloaded files and uninstall files will be gone, but all the updates you've done will remain in effect. You can then delete the SoftwareDistributionOld folder.

If you use the second method, you will also have to reset your Windows Update preferences (as in updates that you have declined), as they will also be wiped out. The next time you use Windows Update, you will be offered all the updates that you have declined in the past.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, I went to Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download but could find nothing that looked like $NTUninstall. Could you give me a clue as to what I should be looking for? I'm already signed on as administrator. Thanks, Phil

Thanks
    As bbearren stated, all the folders and files in this Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder may be deleted. They just look different than former versions. When you choose the files and choose Delete you will be asked to supply administrative privledge to delete, choose OK.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers, bbearren

Did it. What was there was not what I expected. Thanks for telling me that's what I wanted.

Phil