Thread: USB 2 speed

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Windows 7 operating system with a USB enhanced controller driver date 04/06/2009 which is up to date. What download speed can I expect? When downloading images via a universal card reader I only get about 12MB per second. The card ports in the computer are about the same with regards to download speed. TIA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jascarlin View Post
    IWhat download speed can I expect?
    The speed of the slowest component on the chain, here probably the memory card itself.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The memory card has a transfer speed of 32MB per second.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The rated speed on a devices is almost universally presented as a theorectical maximum. These rates are almost always stated as though nothing else is going on and there is sustained streaming performed. What you are getting does seem somewhat slow compared to the rated speed.

Do you have any other USB devices active on the same controller at the same time?

Usually with larger files the transfer rate will be higher. How big are the files being transferred?

What is the target device for the transfer?

Joe

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any other USB devices active at the time. I am transferring images from a card reader to a partition on my hard drive. I don't surf the web or use the computer at the same time. The image files are about 25MB. As stated it also happens with the card ports built into the computer. It is definitely USB2. Computer about 3 months old. Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.8GHz Memory 8GB 64 Bit Operating System. All drivers for USB controllers up to date. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jascarlin View Post
    I have a Windows 7 operating system with a USB enhanced controller driver date 04/06/2009 which is up to date. What download speed can I expect? When downloading images via a universal card reader I only get about 12MB per second. The card ports in the computer are about the same with regards to download speed. TIA
    That tells me the chipset in the reader is only the 'Enhanced' version of USB 1.1. It's very common still in cheap card readers.

I just ran a quick test on my netbook using HD_Speed (W7 with 8GB flash drive, 8GB SD card and 2GB USB stick), 32MB/sec, 16.5MB/sec and 17.2MB/sec.

40MB/sec is the maximum attainable over the USB 2.0 interface, as far as I can tell; USB 1.1 is 1.5MB/sec or 12MB/sec..