New Lounger
    Thanks
    I spent hours carefully "pinning" some 20 shortcuts to the Win 7 Taskbar. When I removed some UI-related feature, ALL of the icons were removed without warning.

I then gathered all of the icons again, this time putting them in a folder, and putting the folder on the Taskbar. So far, Windows has not deleted the folder or the icons.

But. After carefully putting the icons in alphabetical order, every hour or so, the icons are in different orders. There is no sort feature (Win 7 seems to have lost MANY useful features). The underlying folder is sorted by file name, but the Taskbar seems unaware of my stated preference.

What is going on, and how can I convince Win 7 that I actually know where I want the icons, and have them left in place?

I know that I can "lock" the Taskbar, but I've never had to do this before.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jon bondy View Post
    I spent hours carefully "pinning" some 20 shortcuts to the Win 7 Taskbar. When I removed some UI-related feature, ALL of the icons were removed without warning.

I then gathered all of the icons again, this time putting them in a folder, and putting the folder on the Taskbar. So far, Windows has not deleted the folder or the icons.

But. After carefully putting the icons in alphabetical order, every hour or so, the icons are in different orders. There is no sort feature (Win 7 seems to have lost MANY useful features). The underlying folder is sorted by file name, but the Taskbar seems unaware of my stated preference.

What is going on, and how can I convince Win 7 that I actually know where I want the icons, and have them left in place?

I know that I can "lock" the Taskbar, but I've never had to do this before.
    I would use the New Toolbar option on taskbar. Put the shortcuts you want in a folder located somewhere you can find it on your PC (I put my Shortcuts folder in My Documents) Right click on the Taskbar and choose Toolbars, New Toolbar. Point to the folder containing your shorcuts and choose Choose Folder. This will place a link with a Pop Up option >> on your Taskbar to this folder. See my attached shot for my example.

[attachment=89983:NewToolbar.png]

[attachment=89984:Shortcuts.png]

The Shortcuts Item can be moved on the Taskbar, or expanded on the Taskbar.

[attachment=89985:Taskbar.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Silver Lounger: I have already done as you suggested. It is the icons in this folder that keep being rearranged by Windows 7

Have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    When I open the Shortcuts folder then right click in the pop up box containing the shortcuts there is an option to Sort By Name. This allows alphabetic sorting. Once I do this, the icons do not move around. Sorry, but this is my only suggestion.

[attachment=89986:RClick.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I locked the task bar. The icons are still being reorganized frequently.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    These hacks on the Windows 7 Taskbar, will always be over written by some of the defaults settings as the hacks are not recognized by Windows 7 as a standard.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Win 7 does allow any folder to become a new Toolbar. This is not a hack as it is built into the Taskbar. Many use this to add flexibility to their Taskbar. I am unsure why the original OP has the problem of his icons rearranging themselves, because once I choose Arrange By Name, mine do not exhibit this characteristic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have any view style set in folder options for the type of folder that the shortcuts are in that may be overriding the alphabetic sort?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For years, Windows has had a feature where it puts the most recently used icons at the top of lists, or even removes items that have not been used for a while. Since I am "positionally" oriented, this "feature" has always totally screwed me up. I want to know that a particular icon is always "second from the left". So, I've turned this off in every Microsoft program I have encountered, including Windows.

I think that my turning this off in Windows 7 has stopped Windows from constantly rearranging my icons. I would have spotted this sooner, but the rearrangements that were taking place were NOT correct placement of most recently used icons on one end or another of the list. In fact, the rearrangements seemed more arbitrary than thoughtful.

If anyone else encounters unwanted moving of icons by Windows 7, you might try turning this feature off. I honestly have no idea what the name of the feature is. Nor do I care. This "feature" has wasted a huge amount of my time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Instead of relying the position of these entries, why not just "Pin" the ones you use the most or even pin them tho the "TaskBar" and they will always be where you want them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Instead of relying the position of these entries, why not just "Pin" the ones you use the most or even pin them tho the "TaskBar" and they will always be where you want them.
    This would work if you only have a few to pin. With the number of shortcuts I have and use, pinning would not be practical. It sounds as though the OP is in the same predicament as me and needs something other than pinning, but this is just a guess on my part.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If they are pinned to the Start Menu, then they will not be added to the recent programs area, so your recent list will be shorter.
    Also if you were to use "Small Icons" the list can even be longer.
    You can also change the number of entries in the Customize area of the Start Menu Properties.

So I do not see a problem that either you are trying make out of this listing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    If they are pinned to the Start Menu, then they will not be added to the recent programs area, so your recent list will be shorter.
    Also if you were to use "Small Icons" the list can even be longer.
    You can also change the number of entries in the Customize area of the Start Menu Properties.

So I do not see a problem that either you are trying make out of this listing.

In post # 10 you were talking about pinning to the Taskbar, not Start Menu. I have 32 shortcuts to apps I use on my Shortcut Toolbar. Can you imagine what my Taskbar or even my Start Menu would look like if I pinned those 32 shortcuts to those areas. That is why I like the new Toolbar method as all my shortcuts fit easily and take up very little space on my Taskbar.

Yes I could pin the Shortcuts folder I mention in my post #2 to the Start Menu. Unfortunately this would just facilitate opening the Shortcuts folder on my desktop from which I would choose the app I wanted to start, but this is an extra step, open the folder, then choose the app, then close the Shortcuts folder. With the Shortcuts Toolbar I just open the pop up list and choose the app. When I choose the app the list closes on it's own. I do not have to then close it. One less step.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    I put my shortcut folder on the Desktop and just access it with the 'double arrows' in the taskbar. My order hasn't changed (unless I did it myself) in 10 months.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schneider View Post
    I put my shortcut folder on the Desktop and just access it with the 'double arrows' in the taskbar. My order hasn't changed (unless I did it myself) in 10 months.

Same here. Once I choose Sort By Name, or whatever, it stays that way until I change it. I just put my Shortcuts folder elsewhere than my desktop because I am trying to elliminate items on the desktop. This seems counter productive to me, that's why I chose to put the folder in My Documents instead.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted