2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most USB Flash drives I have purchased have an LED that lights up when the drive is inserted into a USB port. This same LED flashes whenever I am accessing the drive.

Windows 7 has this option in the System Tray that says "Safely Removing Hardware and Ejecting Media" and when this is selected it brings up the USB drives I have attached and if I select one of those it does its magic and then displays that the selected drive can be safely removed.

My question relates to how this "Safely Remove Hardware" function differs on Windows 7 over Windows XP. When I use this function on Windows XP, the LED on the flash drive, turns off and then the message about it being safe to remove the drive is displayed. On Windows 7, the LED stays lit even though the "safe to remove..." message is displayed. There doesn't appear to be any problem with the Windows 7 function, at least not that I can detect. But I have to say I prefer the Windows XP approach of 1st turning off the LED, then displaying the message.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this behavior? My hunch is that its unlikely but I was wondering of there is a switch or setting of some sort in Windows 7 that makes this function behave like the same function in Windows XP, i.e. turn off the LED on the flash drive when the function is completed?

Thanks
    It is working as designed. If you do not use the Safe to Remove, then the next time you plug it in, it will ask if you wish to scan before use. Using the Safe to Remove option will alleviate this from happening.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that if I right click the icon down there and choose eject it ejects and gives msg and is 40 times faster than "Safely Removing Hardware and Ejecting Media"