Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I open Macrium Reflect a windows displays the contents of my hard drive:

1 - System
    2 - <no name> (C
    3 - RECOVERY (D
    4 - HP_TOOLS (E

The LCD screen on my laptop has failed & before it goes in for repair I'm making a backup so that I can return my laptop data to the condition it was in before the LCD failed. My question is, should I just backup the C: drive or backup the whole drive? I have the factory recovery disks. which I intend to use before shipping the laptop. I "ASSUME" that the recovery disks will put items 1 thru 4 back on the HD & then I just have to use the Macrium backup to recover the C: drive. True?

If I backup the whole drive select each partition & click "Finish"?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - How do I I take a screen shot and post it here? The Microsoft web site says to use "Prt sc" to capture a screen shot and then "ctrl - V" to paste it here, but THAT doesn't work!

Thanks
    Philip, If you have sensitive data on your PC, backup the whole hdd then do a restore with your recovery discs before sending to get fixed. When returned, use recovery method to replace your data. What operating system is your laptop?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I would do 2 Images:

1) The entire disk

2) The "C" drive

Since it is the LCD screen that went bad, you may not have to restore the OS in which case you will have 2 Images to use in case something bad happens. I would then reimage "C" whenever a major change takes place on the system. This way if, say the HD fries, Restore the entire disk, then restore "C" to get back where you started. You should also back up any data separately.

May I also suggest another change. If you do have up to date Images, there is no need for the recovery partition. You can reclaim this space with any competent partitioning app. The recovery partition will get you back to factory install, but practically know one uses factory settings any more. We all get rid of bloatware and all the other junk the manufactirer has seen fit to include. Then we install a bunch of apps we need. Why not just restore to your customized OS, hence no need for the factory settings, and like you mentioned you have disks anyway. Just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Andrews View Post
    When I open Macrium Reflect a windows displays the contents of my hard drive:

1 - System
    2 - <no name> (C
    3 - RECOVERY (D
    4 - HP_TOOLS (E

I "ASSUME" that the recovery disks will put items 1 thru 4 back on the HD & then I just have to use the Macrium backup to recover the C: drive. True?

If I backup the whole drive select each partition & click "Finish"?

P.S. - How do I I take a screen shot and post it here? The Microsoft web site says to use "Prt sc" to capture a screen shot and then "ctrl - V" to paste it here, but THAT doesn't work!
    Philip,
    Hello... I have a Question.. about item #1.... C: is usually your "System " How large is item #1 and #2 ?
    Personally i wouldn't even "fool" with your recovery disks, ...Just Image the whole HD , and as the other posts (Teds) suggest then "Image " your "OS" (C: partition... preferably to an external device ) Macrium Reflect is a very good program and have used it to do several Backup \ Recoveries. Just be sure to make the "Recovery Disk" as instructed by "Macrium" .... and then test it to make sure that it will boot your "machine" Also when finished make sure that you "verify" your "Images" (Macrium Tool) then "mount" them and have a "look see", just to be sure.
    As far as the screen shot I like the free program "FastStone Capture for Windows V 5.3"http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categor...neCapture.html With it you can "capture" any part of your screen and save it to wherever you wish.
    Regards Fred
    PS: I have done some searching ..and your #1 is a Windows "MSR" (not all Windows "7" install have this) and yes it has to be "Imaged" see this article from Macrium http://www.macrium.com/KB/Knowledgeb...icle50049.aspx
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you each & everyone for your kind replies. I will take the safe road & do, well everything that each of you said.

I should have mentioned that the operating system is Windows 7 64 bit. Sorry about that.

OK - back to backing up . . . . I mean IMAGING!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My laptop is back. After some - well bad words - Macrium returned my HD to its previous state. Well almost everything. When I did my image my HD had the following:

1 - System
    2 - <no name> (C
    3 - RECOVERY (D
    4 - HP_TOOLS (E

Now my HD just has a C: drive. No 1,3, & 4. No recovery drive. I could see them in the image. I know that I used the ctrl key to select each drive letter. What did I do wrong? I can do it again but I don't know why Macrium didn't put the other partitions back on the drive. Any thoughts?

Rats now it has a C: & D: drive. The drives appears to have the exact same files in them. Is there a walk thru for dummies posted here? I booted from the Linux CD I made and thought that I followed the directions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Andrews View Post
    Rats now it has a C: & D: drive. The drives appears to have the exact same files in them. Is there a walk thru for dummies posted here? I booted from the Linux CD I made and thought that I followed the directions.
    Philip,
    Hello... Yes mercyh made an excellent tutorial for using Macrium Reflect Free... see this link http://bro.ws/776749L Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    As long as you keep an up to date image, the recovery partition becomes obsolete for most purposes. After all the image has the OS and all apps, data, etc, whereas the recovery partition had just the OS. These recovery partitions are often hidden from utility apps, so it may be gone. I would reimage periodically. Doing this will always keep your image up to date which will allow restoring to where you were prior to the problem much quicker.

The only reason some keep these recovery partitions is to put the PC back to factory condition when disposing of them. Other than that, an up to date image is far superior.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Phillip.

>>> If I backup the whole drive select each partition & click "Finish"?

If you were using Acronis, I would suggest you do a clone, then you get the whole HD in one sweep. Is there this option in Macrium ? I have never seen this app.

Doing a clone gives you access to any one file/folder on the destination too. I do mine once monthly at least, it takes 17 minutes for my whole HD protection. With a clone, there is no hesitation about what to save, the whole cheebang is done. Cloning back from Destination, ( now source ), to Source, ( now Destination ) will see you not as out-of-the-box but as you left it. Doing a Restore with the Recovery DVD, will not bring any of your stuff back, all MS Updates to be redone too, this is the OOTB situation.

HTHs. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is an option in Macrium to Click each DRIVE that you want to image. This automatically selects each partition on that drive. I am running a test right now to see if it puts each partition in a separate image file or if they are all on in one file.

I do know that when you restore, you get the option to select which partitions you wish to restore.

I am not sure what has happened with the original poster (OP). He states the following about the image itself:
    Now my HD just has a C: drive. No 1,3, & 4. No recovery drive. I could see them in the image.
    Now I would read that to mean that all the partitions are actually in the image. Were you not presented with the option of restoring each of the partitions when you booted into the restore environment? Did it give you the option to restore the whole disk?

I always wipe the OEM restore and utilities partitions anyway and just restore my OS and DATA partions so I have not actually tried what you are doing.......

I agree with Ted on this that after I have created my base install image (the first one after setting up the machine the way I want it.), I archive this image and it becomes my restore to new option. This image includes no data and I have not need to keep the manufacturers restore partion after this is created. The only reason I would use this is if I experienced some sort of corruption that I did not catch until after I had desleted my last current backup image from before the issue occured.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just finished imaging my DRIVE as apposed to only selecting a couple of partitions. Macrium creates a single image file that includes all the partitions. I can browse the partions and everything is there.

I suppose that the best way to test the restore of the entire drive would be to restore to a virtual machine. Unfortunately I don't have time right now. Will have to wait for a later date.....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Using this link: http://www.macrium.com/KB/Knowledgeb...icle50034.aspx

I select the backup on my external HD

There are four partitions
    SYSTEM Active 199.000MB
    <No Name> (C Primary 219.011GB
    RECOVERY (D Primary 13.578 GB
    HP_TOOLS (E Primary 3.461 MB

The directions say Select (C and click ‘Next’

“For this restore we’ll restore or saved partition to the whole of ‘Disk 1”

So I hold down the ‘Ctrl’ button & select the four check boxes shown which are:

Unallocated Empty 992.500KB
    0 Active <No Name> (C NTFS 199.000MB
    1 Primary <No Name> (D NTFS 219.011GB
    Unallocated Empty 13.680 GB

Step 5. I have a choice of Active, Primary, and Logical. The program defaults to Primary – so I use that.

Step 6. Drag the slider to the right – click next.

Step 7. Verify Image – No thank you

Step 8. Replace the Master Boot Record from the Backup is selected by me, nothing was selected on the screen

Step 9. No. Do not check at reboot

Step 10. Click ‘Finish”. Error message “Could not initialize the compression library”

Trying again… 2nd try it starts to work.

Successfully restored.

System will now reboot. Or will it?

I have a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. That’s it. HD light is not flashing. Turn power off & back on, try to boot from HD – nothing. I’ve got NOTHING. OK what did I do wrong?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note: These letters may be different to your Windows drive letter assignments. This is because Windows assigns, and remembers drive letters as you attach devices, the rescue CD assigns letters as devices are detected during start-up.
    quote from the KB article. Is it possible that the drive identified as C: in your setup is not actually the disk you think it is??

In the following step;
    Step 7. Verify Image – No thank you
    What happens if you do the verification?

I would ask about this error;
    Step 10. Click ‘Finish”. Error message “Could not initialize the compression library”
    On the Macrium forum.....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not allowed to post to the Macrium forum because I'm using the free copy. I was able to get the laptop working again using the factory restore CD's. So . . . I'm back to square one. I know that my data is on the external HD.

Is it possible that I can only restore ONE partition at a time? I should only restore the C: drive? Will doing so erase the other partitions?

I HAVE to restore the SYSTEM & <No Name> C: drive together? Or can I just select C:?

Is there some function missing from the "free" version that is keeping me from simply restoring the image I made? IF I purchase the full version will that feature allow me to stop beating my head on my desk and get my laptop working again?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried again from the Linux CD. Actually I tried four more times using different settings. They all end up at a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner... I'm back at the factory recovery CD's. 2nd time in 24 hours. It's occurred to me to try downloading the software from Macrium onto the laptop & try to reinstall from that. I've tried all of the suggestions above. I see the GD data on the Ext HD, now if I can just get it thru the USB to the HD ASAP I'll be OK but only if I don't have a TIA while trying to use this PITA software.

Maybe I should have used "Active" instead of "Primary" in Step 5 . . .

This was a big waste of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast