Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Being everyone's "freeware" PC technician has its challenges. I helped someone to upgrade to a larger HDD. The original 80GB (IDE) drive was cloned with clonezilla onto the new 250GB (SATA) drive, Now the PC has a 80GB C: drive and another completely empty formatted 170GB D: drive. I would like to make these two one partition. I have never done this. Can Easeus Partition Master Home edition do this? If not, is there some other freeware available.
    The PC uses Win XP Home and I have a complete backup just in case. What other dangers lurk?

Thanks
    How to delete a partition or a logical drive;How to use Disk Management
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can Easeus Partition Master Home edition do this?
    Yes

First you delete the empty partition, you would then expand the C: partition to fill the empty space.

Your current layout is not bad though. If you are using imaging as part of your backup plan (which I would recommend), you would store any files that do not need to be imaged on the larger partition. You would then image the C: partition. You can either store all critical data on the C: drive and back it up with the image or you can store it on the other partition and back it up using other backup methods saving the image only for restoring the operating system and settings in case of a catastrophic failure.

Thanks
    Make sure XP is up to at least SP2 level or you may risk data loss with larger (127+GB) drives.

Thanks
    I would also recommend keeping the 2 partitions and move "My Documents" to the new D: drive. This is easy to to do with TweakUI form Microsoft Power Toys.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    I have used EASEUS to expand drive C: into some empty space and it worked great. I highly recommend the program.

As to the partitioning, I agree with the other posts. Keep a D: drive for data. It makes backup much easier.

I use a C: = 45GB D: = 85GB and E: = 102GB