3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is at the moment a minor issue but I'm wondering if it indicates more issues for later!

I am running Win 7 Pro 64-bit and it has been very stable since installation about a year ago. Lately, when I log on, the system will go to the new install screen: "Preparing your Desktop". If I log off and log on again I get my usual desktop and the system behaves properly.

I've checked and the system indicates that Windows is activated (that doesn't appear to have changed, at least!). I also ran Produkey and found that my activation key is exactly as I loaded it a year ago.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to 'purify' the files that load my desktop and make sure the desktop is loading properly.

I do have daily full backups that I prepare with Acronis True Image. I also have the original image right after I installed. However, after a year a lot of things have changed.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts; Very much appreciated!!

--Bob
    -Bob Harris
    "Seek Simplicity, Then Mistrust It!"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How long do you keep your daily images.... You for sure want to archive the image from just before this started happening.

If you let the machine go when it says "preparing desktop" does it eventually get logged in? Do you then have your desktop settings?

It almost sounds like your user profile is corrupt or for some reason windows is unable to access it. It then is creating a new user profile.

Please answer the above two questions. Also go into "C:\users\" and see if there are a bunch of new profiles beeing created there. I would suspect if this is happening they will be in the form of Your_User_name_0001, Your_User_name_0002, etc.

Is this machine on a domain?

(Sorry about all the questions with no answers......yet)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your reply and your questions. Much appreciated. So, to answer:
    1. I don't keep the daily images very long, unfortunately. Usually just a day. I do have the original image. I know ( ) should keep the daily images longer!!

2. If I let the machine proceed it does log on, however it has the new screen that one would get if Win 7 had just been newly installed, i.e., the user profile is not being used.

3. See above, the user profile is not used. Basic blue screen with a few of the basic icons.

Log off and log back on and the usual profile is there with normal functionality.

I don't see a lot of new profiles as you describe it, however, there are a bunch of "NTUSER.DAT" files. They all have long extensions after the .DAT. Also, it appears they've been there a long time, the file dates range from Nov 10, 2009 to March 7, 2010.

I'm wondering if a program could be loading too soon that is messing up the desktop profile load. I'll check msconfig and see if I can trim some more off of my startup and see if that helps. I'll let you know. Please let me know if you get a great idea!

Thank you very much for your questions and reply. As I said, Much Appreciated!!
    -Bob Harris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how much you have modified your profile. I would test by creating a new user. Customize the desktop on the new user so you can see if the new profile is being used. Log on and off several times with this new user and see if you can duplicate the symptoms.

I think your user profile is becoming or has become corrupt. I have seen this on one other machine running Win7 home premium. The quickest fix was to build a new user and migrate the old user's settings over to the new profile. After we were sure we had the new user how we wanted it, we deleted the old user. (I would run for a week or so before deleting the old user just to be sure you have everything if you choose to try this method).

Thanks
    It does indeed sound as though the user profile is corrupt. I'm wondering if a repair install would fix this without creating a new user profile. I have not had the opportunity to investigate this as my user profile is not in this state. May be worth exploring. Worth trying?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The machine that I had the user profile problem on had one other weird symptom just before the profile got messed up. The user suddenly started getting permissions denied errors on folders that had permissions set for him. I could not change his permissions for some reason and the only way I could get the problem resolved was to add a user with permissions to the root of C:, this reset all the permissions on the whole drive. I then removed the user which reset all the permissions again and the user who was having permissions issues was able to access his folders correctly. Several weeks later the corrupt profile showed up and we ended up rebuilding his profile. This seems to have fixed the problems.

Have you noticed any of the other symptoms I describe above?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Very good suggestion: Creating a new user. I think that is very workable fix. Thank you very much for the idea!

--Bob
    -Bob Harris