Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    On my new win7 sony vaio VPCEB1E0E it seems to be configured to favour Chrome. Example, Firefox does not offer to remember passwords despite being told to do so.
    I have never been able to see how a thirty-year-old moron can vote more wisely than a fifteen-year-old genius.
    -- Robert Heinlein Starship Troopers --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James Viner View Post
    On my new win7 sony vaio VPCEB1E0E it seems to be configured to favour Chrome. Example, Firefox does not offer to remember passwords despite being told to do so.
    The browser password managers are very unsafe. Do not rely on them. Use an encrypted password manager instead. I use Last Pass. It also includes a form fill option which works exceedingly well. Check it out.

I also do not understand being configured to favour Chrome. Does this just mean Chrome is installed along with IE. I know the Sony Win 7 upgrade disks did include Chrome pre-installed, but this did not mean they favored Chrome. I would assume some kind of financial arrangements were made between Google and Sony.

I have all 3 browsers on my Sony laptop. I have used all 3 at various times as the default browser, although at present I have IE set as default. I agree with some that FF is getting somewhat long in tooth. I do like the interface of Chrome, and the slightly faster speed, but there are some sites that will not open in Chrome, some that I use a lot, hence IE for now. I do have the latest versions of all 3 with all updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I don't use that feature myself. Mozilla's documentation starts here and there might be some relevant troubleshooting info: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ring+passwords

Is there any other respect in which you think the laptop favours Google Chrome?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

My reason for saying that the Sony favours Chrome is because it comes preloaded. Firefox does not give me the "remember password" option despite uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version.

As I have a dislike of I.E. it appears that Chrome it must be.

Once again thanks.
    I have never been able to see how a thirty-year-old moron can vote more wisely than a fifteen-year-old genius.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James Viner View Post
    Firefox does not give me the "remember password" option despite uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version.
    Generally speaking, Firefox preserves your profile folder containing your bookmarks and settings when you reinstall. Perhaps there is a problem with your profile that is blocking the normal functionality? If you don't like Chrome, you could try this:

Any luck?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. Have installed a 3rd party encrypted password manager, per Silver Lounger, for the odd times I want to use Internet Download Manager (it won't integrate with Chrome).

Least-ways if someone knows how to integrate IDM with Chrome please give me a shout.

Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, I use Firefox's password feature for all except banking sites; I use a master password which no one could possibly guess and keep that in my head only. That said, Firefox does occasionally forget to keep a password, or even loses one after it's kept. So, I have a third-party program, Password Safe, which has all the really important ones and is very secure.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    The browser password managers are very unsafe. Do not rely on them. .....
    In what way are they unsafe? Is it the strength of their encryption, or something else?

Thanks
    James, have you set FF as attachment ?

[attachment=90125:ff.JPG]

I dont use ANY program or FF to remember my passwords, I do it manually by writing The Lounge user name + P/W using notepad, Save as..... The Lounge for example. Then burn to CD RW's (2 copys) then keep in safe a place. Password encryption may look good but have to be accessed to use them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Paul View Post
    In what way are they unsafe? Is it the strength of their encryption, or something else?
    Browsers are not concidered a safe alternative for password protection. A simple Google search shows many tests of these types of issues. Most "experts" agree to this from everything I've read. I have personally not done any testing myself, I rely on others that are far more knowledgable in these matters.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Lastpass myself, and can recommend it without reservation. It is very useful, and is probably more secure than storing your user IDs and passwords locally. If you don't have a problem with storing that information online, I would highly recommend checking it out. With Lastpass, you remember *one* password, and that's the one to access your Lastpass account. Lastpass stores the rest, and is better at recognizing log-in prompts, etc., than any of the browser-supplied password managers. It will also generate secure passwords, if you want it to do so.

Your Lastpass data is stored, encypted, on the Lastpass servers. No one can access it but you, as far as I can tell. I use Lastpass for passwords and form-filling, and Xmarks for bookmark syncing. Both serve as a backup copy of my bookmarks and user IDs and passwords.

If you don't have any problems with storing your ID and password information "in the cloud", I highly recommend Lastpass. But, you have to decide if that method will work for you, and if you're comfortable with it.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used KeePass for several years. You can keep everything on a USB key (portable version) and I did this for awhile. I've been using their password generator for sites needing to be especially secure. The kicker, of course, is the master password. That needs to be very secure and easily remembered. I have not used the form filler (KeeForm) extension. I run KeePass on three different computers; I need to manually copy the database to other computers after each change because there is no synchronization (portable version does solve this). I imported my passwords from another password manager I no longer use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting conversations. I agree that using the browser to store passwords is unsafe for a number of reasons (some cured by having a backup copy) and there are a number of password managers that can store locally or online (or both). I have used Roboform Pro for a number of years with a master password. It will generate hard passwords as well. One caveat I would offer to the use of portable USB device is to make certain that it is encrypted -- I have lost a few over the years before they came with security, luckily with nothing of import on them, and now use one that has its own security system.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sheldon View Post
    I've used KeePass for several years. You can keep everything on a USB key (portable version) and I did this for awhile.

I run KeePass on three different computers; I need to manually copy the database to other computers after each change because there is no synchronization (portable version does solve this). I imported my passwords from another password manager I no longer use.
    I know KeePass is highly recommended by many. I think Kim Komando recommends it on her web site. For those that don't like the idea of storing their info online, KeePass is a good option. As I stated earlier, I'm ok with the way Lastpass works, and the combination of Lastpass and Xmarks works really well for me. I use them both as a sort of backup of my "online stuff". That is, when I set up a new system, I install both add-ons to all the browsers I use, and keep things synchronized between all of them.
    -=> Carroll McAllister <=-

Coming to you "almost live" from Searcy, Arkansas

Thanks
    As stated several times in several different threads, I use Last Pass as well. Last Pass uses a strong encryption system and as stated only needs one master password to be remembered. Last Pass also includes a very nice form filler that I use a lot for contest entries, online orders and such. I can load Last Pass onto any PC I wish and access my account by entering my email and Master password. I believe you cannot go wrong.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast