Lounger
    Thanks
    My question has to do with the style box on the formating menu. I did something recently that wiped out some or all of my standard Word 2003 settings. Not sure what happened, but I am fixing up things to my liking.

The style box used to show simple settings like NORMAL or INDENT. If I centered text or italicized text, it all worked fine, but the style that showed in the style box was typically still NORMAL. The text itself had the proper attribute.

But now, the style box shows NORMAL + CENTERED, and there's a style in the box for CENTERED. This didn't used to happen before, and I don't like it.

I figure that some setting got changed, but I have fiddled with many of the Word settings (including the AUTOFORMAT settings) and this behavior has not reverted back to what it was. I don't understand what many of the AUTOFORMAT (the ones at the top under the APPLY heading) do.

Can anyone help or explain what is going on? Things like this that you set and forget are hard to recover from when they change.

Thanks.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

This is pretty standard behavior for Word. You had a paragraph that was using the Normal style then it was Centered so a new style was automatically created Normal+Centered. To the best of my knowledge it's been this way since Word 2003.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgellman View Post
    But now, the style box shows NORMAL + CENTERED, and there's a style in the box for CENTERED. This didn't used to happen before, and I don't like it.

I figure that some setting got changed, but I have fiddled with many of the Word settings (including the AUTOFORMAT settings) and this behavior has not reverted back to what it was. I don't understand what many of the AUTOFORMAT (the ones at the top under the APPLY heading) do.

Can anyone help or explain what is going on? Things like this that you set and forget are hard to recover from when they change.
    The setting that has changed is keep track of formatting (in Office button/File tab > Word options > advanced). When that option is selected you see style + any formatting applied to it. This and having the option to select all instances of a style can be very handy during format cleanup. You can leave keep track of formatting on and stop the display of style+formatting by going to styles pane > options and clearing the check boxes after "Select formatting to show [as if they were] styles". These steps are for W2007/10.

In W2003 (I'm going from memory here), you can find similar check boxes by going to styles pane > customize.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Word 2003 that setting is found under: Tools > Options > Edit tab > Keep track of formatting.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response (I was negligent in not responding earlier). The Keep track of formatting switch was just the thing. Unchecking it solved the problem. Thanks.

Bob