Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quick question. Are some flash drives simply not bootable? I am using a Lexar drive. Using Acronis True Image 11.0 I am creating or attempting to create a bootable drive so I can boot from this should I need to use Acronis to restore an image. In the BIOS I have moved the Lexar drive to the number 1 position and enabled it using shift +1.

On restarting it boots to the hard disk every time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgc50 View Post
    Quick question. Are some flash drives simply not bootable? I am using a Lexar drive. Using Acronis True Image 11.0 I am creating or attempting to create a bootable drive so I can boot from this should I need to use Acronis to restore an image. In the BIOS I have moved the Lexar drive to the number 1 position and enabled it using shift +1.

On restarting it boots to the hard disk every time.
    Use Acronis to create an Acronis Rescue Media rather than a bootable drive. The Acronis Rescue Media will contain all the files necessary to boot into the media to restore from your Image. I have never used Acronis 11, just True Imade Home 2010 and True Image Home 2011. Both have an area to create a Rescue Disk in the Tools and Utilities section.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Instead of just letting your computer boot to the drive, press F8 key or whatever key brings up your boot options menu.
    Some more info on the topic:
    How To Boot From A USB Flash Drive
    1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash/pen/key drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip. Of course there are exceptions, perhaps some are covered here.
    2. The USB flash drive must support booting from it in general.
    3. The flash drive must contain the boot/system files.
    4. The flash drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.
    5. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.
    6. You "may" have to format your floppy disk first in WinXP before you create a bootdisk as XP may "not" like working later on with a disk formatted otherwise.
    7. Included below is a bootable ISO of DOS 7.1 which may be used with some of these methods if you do not have a 1.44 drive.
    Many ways and means to make flash drive bootable.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.