Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have always had 'Sleep' selected for the default action of the 'Start' button.

For some time now that is overwritten with 'ShutDown', with the explanation about updates in the tooltip.

I have Shut Down and restarted numerous times but the message remains - how can I get the Sleep default back please?

Bryan

Thanks
    You may have inadvertently disabled it somehow, as a first step, check to see that it is enabled;
    How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 7

Hibernate+Sleep mode=same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hibernate and sleep are not the same. When you hibernate a file is added to Windows called hiberfile.sys. This file contains all the info saved when you hibernate. This file can be 3 GB or more in size. If hibernate is disabled, this file can be deleted. Even with hibernate disabled, sleep can be enabled. Hibernate actually is a more powered down state than sleep. This article from MS discusses these in more detail.

I would also say Clint's suggestion may be the easiest to check.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Yes, I stand corrected.
    Hibernate will write the contents of memory to a specialized file on the hard drive. Sleep will not.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Taskbar and Start Menu Properties > Start Menu > Power action button should change it for you Bryan.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had been around that loop Andy - but thanks.
    As it happens I just did a 'Shut Down' and 2 updates were installed - now I've got Sleep Back.

Glad we are all agreed Sleep isn't Hibernate.

Regards

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Amazing - I've just gone there again after this post to set Sleep for the night and 'Shut Down' is written over the Sleep option again.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed you may have definition updates to install. MSE uses the Windows Update structure to download definition updates. Normally, they just get installed automatically. However, if you shut down the PC before they are installed you'll see a notifcation about updates.

Also, see Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions for a few answers about sleep, hibernation, & hybrid sleep in Windows 7.

Joe

Joe