3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can see how to add a ribbon and add items to it. The rename button accesses a dialog with icons to choose from. How can I add to those icons please?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know how to do this only using the new Word 2010 interface but if you use the CustomUI Editor and follow these instructions http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163469.aspx
    The linked page includes a link to the CustomUI Editor.

Another alternative now available which lets you create full ribbon customisations via a visual interface rather than learning the XML coding path is Andy Pope's RibbonX Visual Designer
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew.

Unless I misunderstand, that looks like an alternative way of creating a ribbon, is that the case?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, they are methods of customising the ribbon which were available before Office 2010 started to address the requirement. Both of the methods I listed have far more power than the interface I have seen in the Office 2010 Beta (I haven't used the official release yet). Unfortunately, with the extra power comes more learning curve.

There may be another way to add your own icons in Word 2010 without using these tools or directly editing the contents of the zipped dotx/dotm/docx/docm files but I don't know what that other way is.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I suppose you could program your own forms, make them long and thin to look like toolbars, and add whatever buttons you want and make them look like icons, and then program them to invoke whichever ops you want.

Thinking ... but that will mean you will always be within a 'program run', running a VBA program, which will prevent you from doing all sorts of other things. Off hand, I can't think what - apart from of course run and record further macros.

Thinking more ... do the same thing, but write the program outside of Word, e.g., in VC++, and call the Word API. I think that would work.

Just to repeat the obvious ... yup, Word 2007+ was a big retrograde step, so far, for many professional Word users, esp. power users and developers.

- avi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

For the benefit of anyone else planning to add ribbons to the released version of 2010, it leaves a lot to be desired.

You have no control over whether or not anything you add shows just the button or button and text and that varies depending on how many functions you put in a group. Also sometimes you will see all small buttons and sometimes large and small buttons. You have no control over which and again it changes according to the number of functions. Screenshot attached.

This is definitely a "could do better" school report.

Thanks again everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Peter

I agree that MS's performance here was ordinary. Especially when third party tools that can do it are available.

I suggest you now move to the other options listed above where you will be able to set attributes such as showImage and showLabel. You could also edit the customUI.xml file directly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will do that but I have managed to get close to what I want so other things first and then back to this.

One thing I found is that changing the length of the name of whatever you add can be useful in fooling the ribbon. Add some text in one group and take it out of another can completely change the display.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    avi,

The trick you describe is actually quite workable - I've used it a few times for templates that just needed a few simple buttons to run commands. The first time I needed to do it was for a client who was using Word 2007 but insisted on keeping their templates and documents in the old .dot/.doc format - which meant Ribbon customization wasn't an option. I found that creating a fake toolbar via a userform was very simple. I've used it a couple more times since then - even in .dotx templates. The key is to make the userform non-modal. It just sits there the whole time the document is open, and doesn't interfere with anything else running.

I've only just started playing around with Word 2010, and am disappointed to see that Office 2010's much-vaunted Ribbon customizability is useless if you need to associate the customization with a particular template. It appears that any change made to the Ribbon applies to the entire application, and cannot be localized to a specific template. This means the RibbonX methods, which I'd hoped would become an orphaned, 2007-only technology, remain the only practical way to make Ribbon customizations specific to particular templates.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also found that having created the ribbons I wanted for users, the only export option is for all my customisations, not just a specific ribbon. So a user then imports that and gets my customisations at the same time as wiping there's I guess.

Surely it should have been obvious to Microsoft that there was a need to export a specific ribbon?

The ribbon created does have template specific stuff so it would have been nice to be able to recognise that too. I can see I am going to have look at RibbonX. How is it Andy Pope can figure it out and Microsoft cannot?

Thanks Gary.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grainge View Post
    How is it Andy Pope can figure it out and Microsoft cannot?
    Often with Microsoft it is not about "figuring it out" but more about prioritization, resource allocation, and timing. Microsoft and many others (see Apple & i-Phone) have long been known for leaving something out so the next version may have a new or refined feature which will help justify an upgrade.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No kiddin.