Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot problems

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm new to this group, and guess what..........I have a problem with Windows7 (which has worked fine for about 12 months).
    I switch on, sign on as Admin and use Password. Windows accepts these but then hangs on the blue Welcome Screen
    In Safe Mode, the same procedure gets me to the desktop without hang-ups, which is correct.

Checking Device Manager indicates a problem with:- Non-Plug & Play Drivers....Security Processor Loader Driver located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\spldr.sys.
    The Event Viewer indicates controller errors in Admin Events in the User Profile Service.

I also noticed that all my Restore Points have gone.

Various scans have not produced problems.

What to do next..........any ideas?? I would appreciate help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You should backup your system ASAP. Controller errors could be indicating an impending hardware failure. although, it is possible there is a corrupted driver also. Have you updated any drivers recently? Have you changed any hardware recently?

After your system backup, you could try a repair install using your installation DVD.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    Peter, Welcome to the Lounge.

I believe Joe is correct on this. Make an Image as soon as possible. I was going to say try a restore point but I see you say you do not have any. The repair install is perhaps youe best bet. Have you tried to right clicking on the problem child in Device Manager and choosing properties, then try to update the driver, or perhaps uninstall the device and let Windows find it at boot and reinstall? After making your Image, it might be worth trying these as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    since it works in safe mode, Try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure detailed at:
    Clean Boot

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I have previously backed up the important stuff. I also did a BIOS disk scan which indicated no problems with either disc. I have the original Windows7 installation files in partition on hard drive so I will try the repair from there
    I'm going to try to attach a file showing problem in Device Manager.
    I uploaded a file but cannot see it....maybe it appears in the final post

Thanks
    Before the repair install...
    Run a thorough checkdisk with the 'R" switch not "F", from a bootable disk if you haven't already done so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    This reads like malware. Non plug and play drivers are mostly software or fallback generic hardware drivers; spldr.sys is security-related and your Restore points are gone ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the CLEAN BOOT diagnostic and eventually isolated Avast Anti Virus program as the problem. I have now deleted Avast and things appear to be back to normal. I'll try a few more boots to be sure.
    Once again, thanks for the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter G. Edwards View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the CLEAN BOOT diagnostic and eventually isolated Avast Anti Virus program as the problem. I have now deleted Avast and things appear to be back to normal. I'll try a few more boots to be sure.
    Once again, thanks for the help.
    You're welcome. Hope you found it for sure. You may want to try Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials. Several Loungers are using it. It is free, lighweight, easy to install, & automatically updates definitions.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    You may want to try Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials. Several Loungers are using it. It is free, lighweight, easy to install, & automatically updates definitions.
    My experience with it suggests that it's usually lightweight, automatically updates - eventually (best to use Windows Updates prior to a scan to ensure you have the latest definitions) and can be very slow to detect pre-existing infections.

My thoughts are that it does not scan accessed files whilst it has a scan running (possibly why it feels lightweight?); I have, on several occasions, manually detected suspicious files 20-30 minutes before the scanner flags them; most other scanners I use will flag suspect files within seconds of me opening the folder with Explorer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rowlands View Post
    My experience with it suggests that it's usually lightweight, automatically updates - eventually (best to use Windows Updates prior to a scan to ensure you have the latest definitions) and can be very slow to detect pre-existing infections.

My thoughts are that it does not scan accessed files whilst it has a scan running (possibly why it feels lightweight?); I have, on several occasions, manually detected suspicious files 20-30 minutes before the scanner flags them; most other scanners I use will flag suspect files within seconds of me opening the folder with Explorer.
    My experience is the opposite. MSE will refuse to display a suspicious website; it will snag drive-by malware that tries to load in the background and suggest "Clean Computer"; it will refuse to download suspicious files. I've tested this on a number of known "bad" sites, and MSE just works like a charm. In my observations, it does appear to scan open files and running processes, even though they are in use.

I have made MSE the default anti-malware on all my machines, and I have yet to incur any problems whatsoever. I am particularly pleased with its ability to scan in the background without interrupting my use of the machine.

I bought my son a Lenovo G550 this past Thursday; it had McAfee preinstalled. We downloaded MSE, uninstalled McAfee using RevoUninstaller, then installed MSE. Saturday I bought my daughter an HP Laptop; it had Norton preinstalled. We downloaded MSE, uninstalled Norton using RevoUninstaller, then installed MSE.

In my use, it is extremely lightweight (hardly any footprint) yet extensively thorough in its protection.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    My experience is the opposite. MSE will refuse to display a suspicious website; it will snag drive-by malware that tries to load in the background and suggest "Clean Computer"; it will refuse to download suspicious files. I've tested this on a number of known "bad" sites, and MSE just works like a charm. In my observations, it does appear to scan open files and running processes, even though they are in use.

I have made MSE the default anti-malware on all my machines, and I have yet to incur any problems whatsoever. I am particularly pleased with its ability to scan in the background without interrupting my use of the machine.

I bought my son a Lenovo G550 this past Thursday; it had McAfee preinstalled. We downloaded MSE, uninstalled McAfee using RevoUninstaller, then installed MSE. Saturday I bought my daughter an HP Laptop; it had Norton preinstalled. We downloaded MSE, uninstalled Norton using RevoUninstaller, then installed MSE.

In my use, it is extremely lightweight (hardly any footprint) yet extensively thorough in its protection.
    Sure, on known clean and new machines, it's likely to be fine - BUT

Thanks
    Sure, on known clean and new machines, it's likely to be fine - BUT
    I also switched to MSE on my main machine that is well over seven years old and has been through many, many hardware and software upgrades to the extent that is no longer the same machine, and has been through a half-dozen or so different AV applications, including Norton, Eset, Avast, etc. MSE still works just fine, and was my main reason for switching the new laptops to MSE right out of the box.

I have a Dell D800 that is 7 years old, and I switched it to MSE with nothing but great results.

I have found no other AV/AM that is as unobtrusive while at the same time maintaining a very high degree of protection on computers new or old. Eset was my former #1, but it pales in comparison to MSE in my experience.

I have also audited a number of scans, and it does indeed scan files that are open and in use.

I also do periodic scans with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware, and neither has found anything of any significance since I switched to MSE.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have to agree with bbearren as well. I have MSE on a 1 year old laptop, 2 year old laptop, approx 7 year old desktop and on several of my childrens various age PCs and my mothers 4 year old PC all of which have Win 7, XP or Vista. On all these installations MSE works just fine. None have had successful attacks, although there have been a couple of the fraudulent Security attempts. Since these have to be stopped by other methods (task manager) they were. I swear by MSE. I have also used at various times, Norton (several versions), McAfee, Avira, Avast and a product from RR that I do not remember the name.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I think you're both missing my point - pre-existing infections; which may well have been the issue with the OP's PC given the initial description.

I have used MSE on infected machines.

On some of those machines, whilst MSE is running the first scan and also later, when forcing it to run a full scan, I have scrutinised files and folders looking for and finding suspicious files.

MSE did not flag any of my suspected files until some 20 - 30 minutes after I had closed the folders they were in.

My suspicion therefore, is that MSE does not check files accessed (by right-clicking and checking the Properties) whilst it is doing those scans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast