Thread: USB

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not seem to find USB 2 drivers, I've searched but no luck. What I really need is the enhanced host controller
    but all I read I just can't seem to find any way to install it. I'm running XP Pro SP3. Am I going to have to buy a
    USB 2 card to get this?

Thanks

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can you be sure you don't already have it? It is terribly hard to tell by looking in the device manager......

What is your hardware?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the message that this item would run faster if connected to a faster port (something like that)
    and I have no Enhanced Host controller in my device manger. I have another computer with XP and
    it has controller in it. It's a MSI mother board.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
    I can not seem to find USB 2 drivers, I've searched but no luck. What I really need is the enhanced host controller
    but all I read I just can't seem to find any way to install it. I'm running XP Pro SP3. Am I going to have to buy a
    USB 2 card to get this?
    USB host controllers are part of your motherboard's chipset drivers. Check the make and model of your
    board (MSI) for an update.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Johnson View Post
    I get the message that this item would run faster if connected to a faster port (something like that)
    and I have no Enhanced Host controller in my device manger. I have another computer with XP and
    it has controller in it. It's a MSI mother board.
    That message means the OS detected a higher speed USB device than the older USB hardware you have internally. Newer USB drivers will not help. You need new USB ports.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Every now and then, I get the same kind of message when I plug a USB 2.0 flash stick into the same USB 2.0 port I always use on my XP SP3 machine. There are not any new USB 2.0 ports on this computer, and there are no new USB 2.0 hubs attached either. I simply remove the flash drive and insert it again, and no more message. The stick runs at USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I verified this by using another machine (having USB 2.0) to test the time it takes to copy a large file (.mp4 movie) to a flash drive, and both machines transferred the same file at the same speed, on more than one USB 2.0 flash drives.

Oh, I have that happen once in a while on an XP SP3 computer at the church too, for no apparent reason.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that Joe is probably right on this count. I had this mother board in another computer
    and had same probelm when I upgraded I kept PCI USB card in case and all works great
    with win 7, so I guess this motherboard just don't handle USB 2, I'll get another USB Card.
    Giving it to my grandkids any way so I'm not going to worry.
    Thanks to all who tried to help.
    Jerry