Thread: Virus from dvd

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend of mine says I gave him a ton of viruses including a keylogger from a dvd-r. I make these dvds from Pro-show Producer using photos i have taken. I then put them into a show and cut a dvd-r which is playable on both computer and a normal dvd. Can a virus be spread from the dvd I make to a computer? The support from Proshow says no but my friend says that is the only thing on his computer in months.

Thanks
    Give your entire system a thorough scan with both your own AV scanner and one of the many free
    online scanners. It is possible for viruses and other malware to be transfered to and burned to a DVD disk.
    I can't say for sure whether Proshow, unless a hacked version, is specifically responsible or not.

I highly suspect your friend is blowing things out of proportion somewhat as well.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Windows Live OneCare safety scanner
    Top 10 Free Online Virus Scanner
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Picture Pete View Post
    Can a virus be spread from the dvd I make to a computer? The support from Proshow says no but my friend says that is the only thing on his computer in months.
    In the past, autorun/autoplay has been exploited to install malware. Your friend needs to ensure Windows is up-to-date, and also can search older threads here on configuring Windows not to autorun/autoplay removable media. And you need to be sure you aren't burning DVDs with unwanted bonus features.