Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I right click my windows 7 desktop and select new, the only option it gives me is to create a new folder. I need to create new shortcuts, text files, word documents, etc.

Thanks
    Walter, welcome to the Lounge.

[attachment=89848:1.jpg]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I agree that is what should be showing, but instead the only new option shown is folder

Thanks
    Try the system file checker;
    Type "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The new documents (word, excel, etc.) should be added when these apps are installed. Try this fix to see if this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have checked out the possible solutions offered by Ted and Clint and they did not work. One thing I have not mentioned that when I am logged in as my user name I have no problem creating new files, shortcuts, etc. It is only when I have logged in with my wifes' name that I have a problem. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter C. Bates View Post
    I have checked out the possible solutions offered by Ted and Clint and they did not work. One thing I have not mentioned that when I am logged in as my user name I have no problem creating new files, shortcuts, etc. It is only when I have logged in with my wifes' name that I have a problem. Thanks for the input.
    Is your wife's account a limited user? And are you an Administrator?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Both mine and my wife's account are set as Administrator

Thanks
    The new info may have answered the question as RG mentioned. Limited user are only allowed limited access, as in basically no new stuff. No installation of apps, it appears limited right click features. To verify this go to Control Panel, User Accounts and change her account temp to an admin rights (I believe you will have to do this while signed on to your account, remember it appears her account does not have the rights to change things like this.) If the "problem" discussed here goes away then you have answered the question. You can then set her account back any way you desire.

Oh sorry, I see you gave an answer while I was typing.

In this case I would say her User Account may be corrupt. The easiest thing to do probably would be to set up a new account for her, get everything set to simulate her old account, then check the new account. Once it works the way you want, delete her old account that seems to have the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I advise against running routinely under an account with Administrator privileges. You're asking for trouble.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I advise against running routinely under an account with Administrator privileges. You're asking for trouble.
    We have never had a problem with any of our PCs while routinely running under administrator accounts. We do however limit access to our PCs to just ourselves so this tends to limit the problems associated with many people "playing" with our PCs and doing unexpected things to our PCs.

I guess bottom line is if others have access to you PC, then set up limited accounts. If their are limited or no opportunities for others to use your PC, then I do not bother.

I still think the original OP may have a corrupt user account for his wife.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Walter, sign-in as your wife, go to C:>Program files, look for any of your choice with a dot exe (.exe) extension, right click and try to create a desktop shortcut. If it fails, try when signed-in as you.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    We have never had a problem with any of our PCs while routinely running under administrator accounts. We do however limit access to our PCs to just ourselves so this tends to limit the problems associated with many people "playing" with our PCs and doing unexpected things to our PCs.
    The danger is not necessarily in problems associated with other folks messing with you computer "hands on". The danger is in the nasties on the web that are coming up with more and better ways to get to your PC, such as the "drive by" downloads that can be activated just by opening a web page.

Would you like such malware to have access to you PC with elevated privileges, or try to gain access to your PC with standard user privileges? With elevated privileges, this sort of infection attempt can also bypass UAC and install silently without any input from you. I've cleaned up a few such infestations.

With standard user privileges, nothing happens without going through UAC (if you haven't deactivated it) and the "drive by" malware can't install.

It's just not a good idea to go online routinely logged on with Administrator privileges. I have two admin accounts that I use for maintenance, but I also have two non-admin accounts that I use for all web surfing, including here at the Lounge.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I listened to Bbearen's advice about having accounts set as Administrator's and now I am sorry I did. I changed both our accounts to standard user which my Windows 7 installation readily complied. Now I am trying to install new software and the UAC activates and gives me no choice to cancel since I do not have administrators privileges anymore. I have tried creating a new user account with Administrator's privileges and the UAC prevents it. I have tried going into the registry to disable the UAC and get an access denied message. I have tried reinstalling Windows 7 and am prevented from doing this by the UAC prompt. I don't know where to turn next and am extremely sorry I listened to what at the time seemed like sensible advice. Any help????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter C. Bates View Post
    I listened to Bbearen's advice about having accounts set as Administrator's and now I am sorry I did. I changed both our accounts to standard user which my Windows 7 installation readily complied. Now I am trying to install new software and the UAC activates and gives me no choice to cancel since I do not have administrators privileges anymore. I have tried creating a new user account with Administrator's privileges and the UAC prevents it. I have tried going into the registry to disable the UAC and get an access denied message. I have tried reinstalling Windows 7 and am prevented from doing this by the UAC prompt. I don't know where to turn next and am extremely sorry I listened to what at the time seemed like sensible advice. Any help????
    Windows Seven Forums lists three methods to enable the adminitrators account. What you probably had to do was to enable the administrator account before changing the other accounts to Limited. This would give the option to logging into the admin account during login. It should show all 3 accounts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast