Thread: Seq Numbers

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello: I know how to create Seq numbers and I know how to restart them (thanks to this forum a few years ago). But now, we are working in Word 2010 and when I try to restart my sequence number, the first "restarted" sequence is fine, it restarts, but if I cut and past Seq numbers from the previous list, they pick up right where the previous list left off.
    I've attached an example.
    Thanks
    Charlotte

PS. I have not been on here in a while and had to re-register....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think this is related to where you have your spaces in the field codes. I put a space in front of every \ and it seemed to fix the sequences. I don't know if you could get away without the spaces in the earlier versions but I would think that perhaps the spaces are required there too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew: that doesn't make sense since I added the fields from the Insert|Quick Parts|Field\Numbering feature in Word. You would think Word would use the proper spacing.... No, that doesn't seem to be the answer. Also, I tried your method...when I went to update the fields I got an "Error! Bookmark not defined." Pooie....anyone else?
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I figured it out.....the second set of numbering has to have the "\ r1 \" as part of the numbering sequence.... in every number. Toggle the field codes of the attached and you'll see what I mean. Then check out the third set. I had to enter "\r2\" to get it to restart the numbering. This is not the way I thought it was suppose to work. I thought it was "\r1\" Meant "restart at 1" and then each Seq number would see that the number before it was "1" and adjust itself accordingly. Did I have it wrong all these years?
    Char Q
    Pacific NW

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That is not how I would do it. I simplified your fields to remove the parts that didn't matter so you can see the resets in their purest form.

You need to be careful to add a space after the {Seq SeqName[space here]\r1}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia