2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know about the procedure to do a full install of Win 7 Home Premium utilizing the upgrade.

However, in addition to the tower I wish to update to Win 7, there are two laptops in the house, both bought within a few months that I would love to swipe clean. They both came pre-installed with Win 7 Home Premium and all the associated, required bloatware. Will the upgrade disks enable me to reinstall the OS and then do the full install over itself? I was going to do this before but didn''t get around to purchasing the family pack when it first came out.

Thank you.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You may not qualify for the Family pack; Your current Windows installation may need to be either Windows XP or Vista
    in order to be eligible for this offer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Instead of doing a clean install, try PCDecrapifier. Also use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller. This type program does a much more complete job of uninstalling the remainder of the junk you do not want. Once you get things set up, do a complete Image to restore in the future, then whenever you make a majot change, re-image to keep an up to date image. There has been much discussion in the Security and Backups forum on imaging.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Instead of doing a clean install, try PCDecrapifier. Also use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller. This type program does a much more complete job of uninstalling the remainder of the junk you do not want. Once you get things set up, do a complete Image to restore in the future, then whenever you make a majot change, re-image to keep an up to date image. There has been much discussion in the Security and Backups forum on imaging.
    I never heard of the PCDecrapifier..gotta love it. I read the article and will use it for future reference. I also had my own issues that were discussed in the Security/Backups board including the help with imaging.

It seems that my best course would be to cleanup the laptops using the decrapping procedure and get a single copy of win 7 upgrade for the XP PC that needs s shot in the arm. Thanks again.

D.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Most new PCs, regardless of form factor, do not come with product installation DVDs any more. There is usually a recovery partition on the disk that will return the PC to the way it left the factory. Many OEMs provide software to create recovery DVDs. You may be able to use these or the recovery partition to just install the operating system.

Joe

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to use the upgrade discs to do a clean install of Win7 Home Premium on your 2 laptops. When installing, do not supply a license key and don't activate. Instead, after the installation is complete, go to Computer Properties, click Change Product Key and enter the license key printed on the bottom of to the laptop,then activate. I did similar steps to reinstall Vista onto my daughter's laptop when she accidents wiped her disk.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    You should be able to use the upgrade discs to do a clean install of Win7 Home Premium on your 2 laptops. When installing, do not supply a license key and don't activate. Instead, after the installation is complete, go to Computer Properties, click Change Product Key and enter the license key printed on the bottom of to the laptop,then activate. I did similar steps to reinstall Vista onto my daughter's laptop when she accidents wiped her disk.

The thing is, Clint R above mentioned that I might not qualify for the upgrade, at least for the laptops, presumably because the laptops have Home Premium already installed so I really wouldn't be upgrading anything. At least, that's what I thought he meant. It would be nice though to be able to get the Family Pack because it's a pretty economical way to get legitimate copies of such a great OS. I could use the pkg to do the XP PC we have in the house and then really have no use for the two other times I could use the package.

D.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use the disk to do clean install like Peter said. Won't be upgradeing with clean install.
    Are the laptops OEM (Hp, Dell)? Then you need the key that is registered and it might not match one on bottom
    http://www.visualbasicscript.com/m42793.aspx has first post and copy that and place in a file called key.vbs and run it and see if it matches one on bottom

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The thing is, Clint R above mentioned that I might not qualify for the upgrade, at least for the laptops,
    But you are not upgrading your laptops. You are reinstalling the Win 7 Home premium that is already on there. That is why you are going to use the license keys on the bottom of the laptops when you activate. Those keys give you the legal right to run Win 7 Home Premium on those laptops. How it gets there doesn't matter. You can use any Win 7 Home Premium disk (family upgrade, OEM, full retail version, etc) to install the OS on your laptop as long as you follow my instructions.

By the way, you cannot use the license keys on the bottom of the laptop during the install process because there are differences in the installers on the various disks and each type of installer accepts only its license keys (e.g., and OEM disk will not accept a retail license key). But after installation you can change the key to any other key for that exact same OS it it will be accepted.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much.

Now, I understand what needs to be done with the laptops. They are OEM installs, btw, one an Asus, the other a Toshiba.

Glad to see that I will be able to take advantage of the Family Pack. Appreciate your help.

D.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I guess I should have also pointed out the the two laptop installs do not count against the upgrade count of the family pack - after you upgrade your tower (and reinstall on the laptops) you will still have 2 valid upgrade licenses that you can use.