New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's what I want to do - Upgrade from Windows XP Pro to VISTA Ultimate (without activating) then upgrade from VISTA Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional (and then activate)
    Can I get some feedback as to wheteher this will work? Are there any "gothchas" I should look out for?
    Thanks for input.

Thanks
    It might work fine; however, there are so many horror stories and reports of bugs and glitches after upgrading any previous version of Windows (even Vista) up to W7 that I'd advise a clean install.

Thanks
    Hi Hermine and welcome to the Lounge!

I have to assume your reason for moving to Vista first is so you can do an in place upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista, since it is not possible to do an in place upgrade direct from XP to Win7. In other words, you want to upgrade without having to reinstall your programs, etc.

If this is your goal, it would be far better to just do a custom (virtually the same as a clean install) install of Windows 7 Pro so you start off with a fresh Windows 7 experience. There are more potential pitfalls in doing an in place upgrade. First of all you would be transferring any problem areas in your XP installation on to Vista, and from Vista to Windows 7. This could produce a lot of unnecessary headaches for you. If you check out some of Microsoft's forums, you will find that they even recommend doing a custom install rather than an in place upgrade.

I would recommend doing a custom install, and skipping Vista in the process. You will have a much smoother and reliable transition to Windows 7 Pro that way. Windows 7 will create a folder named Windows.old to store all your former XP installation and files. You can copy your user files from this folder into Windows 7 before deleting Windows.old.

In any case do a full backup of XP, preferably an image backup, so you are prepared for any possible difficulties.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I always say if the OSs are already on hand so it doesn't cost anything more than it has already, give it a go, if it works you're good to go and if not, well it just cost you some additional time to find out it wasn't going to work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for your input.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Gerald. I have heard of so many horror stories from the In Place Upgrades. I would most definitely say do the custome Install, then use the windows.old folder to get things you need from the old OS. If you want the easiest and cleanest Win 7 go the custom install route.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Doing the custom clean install of Windows 7 was the easiest and most problem free installation of
    any os that I had ever done. The upgrade advisor, although not completely accurate, too was a big big help.
    So I would definitely recommend the upgrade advisor tool prior to a custom clean install.

My computer was over 2 years old and ran XP SP3 when I first undertook a custom clean install of 7. I was blown
    away with how smooth it went. Everything just worked on first boot, with the exception of the printer and scanner of course.

Some helpful sites:
    Windows 7 Compatibility Center
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    Paul Thurrott:
    Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Recovery Environment and Startup Repair
    Windows 7 Feature Focus: User Account Control
    Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Find Your Way in Explorer with Breadcrumbs
    Windows 7 Feature Focus: Backup and Restore
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.