Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using an installed NOD32 for virus checker that I pay for on a yearly basis. I use the free Malwarebytes to remove malware that gets in. As well as on occasion I use the virus and malware online checkers from Microsoft-McAfee and Eset. Also, I have been using Ad-aware from Lavasoft for the past year and it is time to renew my subscription and I am not sure I want to continue.

I ran a full search using Malwarebytes yesterday and a full "red" Trojan was identified of which I deleted. How did that get in? What good is my on going NOD32 is something like that gets past this antivirus program.

My wife is running Win 7 on her desktop and everytime she goes to this "puzzle" website a small advertisement loads. I then go to the Mozilla options and set the url to be blocked. She then goes to the same website and the damn think comes up again. Help?

What is the consensus out there on the approach most used by this Win XP community to block and keep viruses and malware off of our computers?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel your pain on this. I remember when an updated AV package used to actually block things BEFORE they got installed instead of notifying after the fact. What has happened.....?

Thanks
    I need to ask;Are you running the latest program update,4.2? Setting's in your nod32 update on automatic?
    Personally I'm running Eset Smart Security Suite for about (2) two years now,I haven't any trouble.I also scan the system weekly with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,Super Antispyware programs.Nothing has came up yet.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most gets in either through email links that are clicked on, browser interaction or increasingly through apps, such as pdf readers; legitimate programs with flaws that allow attacks from those vectors are very difficult to stop ahead of time.

I run commando locally but I also have to luxury of being the master of my own domain (little d) and always protected by a double firewall. Always stay up to date on Windows, those problematic apps such as Adobe reader and flash and if there's ever even a hint of something untoward in a browser, no further clicking is allowed, task manager is up and that session is decapitated on the spot. Those are the basics and I've had zero problems on a multisystem setup for about a decade now with the lone exception of a parental system (which is running MS Security Essentials and a couple other passive antivirus), where the task manager lesson was forgotten and a bit of scareware was installed via browser interaction. Can't stop a virus when you give it a helping hand.

Thanks
    I'm using MSE as my permanent "always on" antivirus and antimalware client. I also use the free
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for spot checks. So far I have had nothing major come through, maybe just luck on my part too.

The nature of malware & attack vectors are changing, it's becoming more sophisticated and in many instances, far more directed.
    The basic mechanisms by which browsing and the internet work are seriously showing their flaws, vulnerabilities that have always existed right from day one are increasingly becoming prime targets now. It's becoming more likely now to go to a trusted websites and find they have been compromised/hacked/redirected, and get infected that way, then to stumble upon a malicious website. Browser redirects are so common now.

The best you can do is keep your eyes open, think before you act, learn as much as you can about new vulnerabilities and their exploits, and always keep and maintain an image backup that is known good, and up to date.

It is very fast coming to a point where it is not worth the time and effort to track down
    and fix the damage infectious viruses/malware/rootkits cause.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As it can be impossible to use any type of scanner or d/load one if you get infected, I d/load http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html
    weekly and save on a usb hdd.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback.

I removed NOD32 and after multiple attempts I have re-installed MSE and I plan to run with that for a while. At the same time I will use Malwarebytes as well as SuperantiSpyware. This SuperAntiSpyware helped me identify over 500 tracking cookies that were in my C drive as well as some of my backup drives. I have also removed all of my passwords that were located on Mozilla. So lets see how that helps to reduce most of the spyware.

Thanks
    I mentioned to Fred in another thread that you must be comfortable with your security apps. I use MSE on several PCs and am very pleased with how successful this free app is, but that's me. You have to be pleased with your choice as it's your PC. I believe you will be pleased with MSE as well. I also do periodic scans with MalwareBytes and Spybot Search and Destroy, although MSE is the only app running in real time. I also use the Win 7 firewall, but because XP does not have the same firewall, I believe you should consider a software firewall as well. Good luck and have a great evening.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Chowur: Yes, I was running the latest suite from Eset.

Roderunner: thank you for the link

I had to use the MS support team to remove remnants of the prior install of MSE to get a full MSE up and running. I have removed NOD32 from my XP computer and staying with MSE, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as the long term anti virus and malware programs. Both MSE and SuperAntiSpyware will run in real time. I have also removed AdAware and Spybot from my system because both AdAware and Spybot were running when all of those tracking cookies were loaded that SuperAntiSpyware removed. Also this week Fred came back and provided the results of his MSE test with positive results. So I am going to stay with these programs.