Thanks
    This

[attachment=89856:Vista.JPG]

and

[attachment=89857:W7.PNG]

then click on the links for more info. I did on my W7 PC and found 2 antispyware programs were running, that were incompatible. You don't always get pop up notifications so its worth doing it occasionally. i.e. after installing updates for software.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I'd like to understand why MS consider MSE and Avast! to be incompatible as I've had occasions (as recently as 3 days ago) when Avast! deals with files as they are being accessed and MSE is 'busy' doing a scan (when it seems to drop on-access scanning).

See also my comments here.

I think it's probably fine to have Avast! loaded but 'inactive', just as I have the free MalwareBytes set; enable/disable them on the fly, run them as needed, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks
    Good morning!

Roderunner, do I understand that you found Windows Defender and Avast both running active protection on your PC? If so, they should not be a problem. I run both actively on a Vista PC and a Windows 7 machine and have never had any negative issues. In fact, check this SevenForums link where Brink runs MSE and Avast both in active protection mode without any problems.

Generally, it is safe to run two active antispyware software programs at the same time, but running two active anti-virus programs simultaneously could cause some difficulties. Yet the SevenForums link suggests the use of both MSE and Avast actively, which I found to be somewhat surprising.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rowlands View Post
    I'd like to understand why MS consider MSE and Avast! to be incompatible as I've had occasions (as recently as 3 days ago) when Avast! deals with files as they are being accessed and MSE is 'busy' doing a scan (when it seems to drop on-access scanning).

See also my comments here.

I think it's probably fine to have Avast! loaded but 'inactive', just as I have the free MalwareBytes set; enable/disable them on the fly, run them as needed, they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Andy, This I'm afraid has nothing to do with why I posted. Avast is on Laptop, MSE on Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Good morning!

Roderunner, do I understand that you found Windows Defender and Avast both running active protection on your PC? If so, they should not be a problem. I run both actively on a Vista PC and a Windows 7 machine and have never had any negative issues. In fact, check this SevenForums link where Brink runs MSE and Avast both in active protection mode without any problems.

Generally, it is safe to run two active antispyware software programs at the same time, but running two active anti-virus programs simultaneously could cause some difficulties. Yet the SevenForums link suggests the use of both MSE and Avast actively, which I found to be somewhat surprising.
    Gerald, my reason for posting can be found Here
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Sorry about that; things were a little confusing to sort out.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill