Windows 7 professional 64 bit
    ASUS M4N82 Deluxe
    AMD Phenom II 965 x4 3.4 Ghz OC to 3.6 Ghz
    Crucial DDR 2 4x 2GB 800 Mhz PC2-6400 4-3-4-14 2.0v
    Gainward 275 GTX GS 800 MB GDDR3
    ASUS Essence ST
    Bigfoot Networks Killer Zeno Pro NIC
    Corshair 950watt psu tx Series

Now the problem I have is that when windows 7 has finished the loading process .I click on the little arrow in the notification area and there's hardly any tray icons .Now I know some of the programs have loaded just not showing the tray icon .One of these is my anti-virus program avast the tray icon is always enabled but it is not appearing in the small window.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Hi Ross, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you ever seen the icon notifications for your apps that loaded? If not then click the arrow and click customize. This allows you to select the icon behavior you want. Choose any icon listed and click the drop down box to select how you want things handled. You can choose to Show icon and notifications, Hide icon and notifications, or Only show notifications. This allows you to control which icons are displayed as well as ensuring you get the notifications you want.

Hope this helps and addresses your need.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I may, please allow me to add my 2-1/2 cents.
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, if that matters any.
    I run a program called RollbackRx; similar to the old GoBack. I'm very happy with it and it's saved my rear end several times, but I digress . . .
    RollbackRx must be uninstalled before any disk defraging. After I uninstall it, I run jv16 PowerTools to clean the registry, I delete any temp files and then defrag. Often, but not always, when I reinstall RollbackRx and reboot, the system tray icons are not all there. Either I reboot or logoff. When the system comes back, the system tray icons are usually all there.
    Ah, that word, "usually". . .
    Periodically, I have two system tray icons that don't seem to display all the time, even though the program is running. (And this is many boots after reinstalling RollbackRx.)
    One of them is Microsoft Security Essentials. Sometimes the system tray is missing. When I check Task Manager, msseces.exe is running just fine. There seems to be no way to get the tray icon back except to logoff/logon, or shut the process down and restart it. When the process is running without the tray icon, I can start MS Security Essentials but it never restarts the tray icon.
    The other tray icon that doesn't always display is the one for RollbackRx. It's not very often this happens - maybe 1 out of 50 boots - but the program is running just fine; except there's no tray icon.
    I guess my question is - why do some of the system tray icons not show, even though the program is running?
    And, yes, I've checked and they're not just being suddenly hidden icons.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Dressel View Post
    I guess my question is - why do some of the system tray icons not show, even though the program is running?
    And, yes, I've checked and they're not just being suddenly hidden icons.
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Ross, Chuck,
    Hello.... I have had the same problem also.. In my case i was able to "fix" this issue by turning off my security ( after having downloaded and scanned the program ) Then installing the software.(off line) The "icons" then "stuck " from that point on. The problem did not occur with all downloads \ programs only some ..ex: Logitech , File Hippo, etc. they would "run" ...just no icon in the tray. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Chuck, and welcome to the Lounge!

Assuming you have set your notification preferences by selecting Customize when you click the notification arrow, your icon cache might be corrupted and in need of rebuilding. Check out this WinVista Club link to do this on your system. They have a freeware utility available as well.

It also works in Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald,
    I hadn't even thought about a possibly corrupted cache.
    I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Thanks

And Fred,
    I'm not too sure it's a security issue - but it's worth a look.
    Thanks for the input.

Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response guys .

The icon don't show in the notification area or in the little box when you click the small arrow near the speaker icon .looked in task manager and the programs are there and running and they should show up in the box like they did before

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried deleting the cache and did not resolve my issue

the only thing i can think of is reinstall the programs that are not showing in the notification area .

If anyone can think of any other idea's of being able to get them to display

Thank you for your replys

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Q View Post
    I have tried deleting the cache and did not resolve my issue

the only thing i can think of is reinstall the programs that are not showing in the notification area .

If anyone can think of any other idea's of being able to get them to display

Thank you for your replys
    Ross,
    Hello... have you looked into the issue of "security" that i raised in post #4 ?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yes but didn't solve my problem .