Thread: Can it be done?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Here's a unique, or I would think question.

1. On my main computer I am running WinXP SP3 with the latest updates, etc. I'm also running Outlook Express 6. I just bought a notebook running Window 7 pro 64bit. I want to be able to sync or access message from my XP machine on my notebook, either by linking to the OE share on my XP machines drive or setting it up where the messages get left on the server for a short time until I can download them in to Win Live mail. I was able to import the bulk of my email into WLM but that was only for the files I uploaded, not any new ones. I know this is a bit convulted and I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can download mail to both clients but sent mail stays local. Maybe you could run WLM on both and sync the file?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Yes, Windows Live Mail (WLM) should work on both. This is a part of Windows Live Essentials. You can install as many or as few of the components as you like. You can set WLM up to access all your email accounts from one window. I have 2 RoadRunner accounts and a Hotmail account checked each time I go to WLM. You should be able to leave messages on the server to check them from both.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I have WLM on both my desktop (W7), and laptop (XP).
    You could leave email messages on the server just long enough to keep copies on the hard drives of both machines.
    What you want to do if you store your messages on the hard drive is;
    Use "copy" to your preferred location instead of "move".
    This way you will still have the messages on your email server for when you are ready to logon with the other computer.
    You could then choose "Move" messages to your preferred location, whatever that might be, once one of your computers
    already has copies of those messages.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your help and advice! I supposed can described better what it is that I'm trying to accomplish. Basically, what I want to do is, ocassionally import the messages in my inbox so I can read then delete afterwards. I have a share on my outlook express folder where my email is stored, but when I goto File -> Import and scroll to the network folders, the OE folder is not listed. I manged to import once, but not it doesn't show up. Anyhow, all I'm looking for is just a simple way to access the messages from my main account without jumping through any major hoops. I could access my mail though a web service but if I all ready downloaded it it's useless, Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks
    Outlook Express is an older email client that is not available on Win 7. That's why we suggested Windows Live mail as a very nice replacement. Win 7 nows comes somewhat a la carte in that certain apps that were bundled in XP are now downloaded and installed separately. Outlook Express was just the email client that got your mail from the mail server and displayed it. You can install WLM onto both the XP machine and the Win 7 machine and use this mail client instead of OE. As far as saving the already downloaded messages if that is what you are trying to do, I believe OE had a Save As function somewhere. You can try that.

I would definitely switch from OE to something else as MS does not support OE any more and it is not nearly as secure as WLM.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Outlook Express is an older email client that is not available on Win 7. That's why we suggested Windows Live mail as a very nice replacement. Win 7 nows comes somewhat a la carte in that certain apps that were bundled in XP are now downloaded and installed separately. Outlook Express was just the email client that got your mail from the mail server and displayed it. You can install WLM onto both the XP machine and the Win 7 machine and use this mail client instead of OE. As far as saving the already downloaded messages if that is what you are trying to do, I believe OE had a Save As function somewhere. You can try that.

I would definitely switch from OE to something else as MS does not support OE any more and it is not nearly as secure as WLM.
    I'll do that, but after all these years it's a bit hard, but I also understand your point.