Thread: table locked?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    Access 2007 - can any1 think of a reason I cannot make changes in a table from the frontend to the data in the table in the backend but I can make changes to the data in the table if I am in the backend? I am just opening the linked table, not even using a form. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it possible that you don't have a primary key? That can be one reason for a linked table not being editable.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I found out was that I was linked to a backend that was Access98. All you can do from Access2007 frontend is look at data, not edit it.
    Thanks all for looking.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wrong. What I found was that I had mapped the backend to drive Z which was on 1 of the computers with the front end also. When I open the backend from that computer through the Z: drive the backend was read only. When I open the backend from its folder, I could make changes. So when I changed the link in the frontend to the backend to C:\ folder everything works fine.
    So is it not possible to map a folder for the backend on the computer that has a frontend so I can make changes in the backend and link it through the mapped drive so I can keep the frontend the same on all computers?
    Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try using the substitue command to create a Z drive. I've done this in the past and it works fine.

create a batch file on your desktop

Code:
    subst z: "c:\my Documents"
    When you run it you will now have a z drive that is actually pointing to the folder on your machine

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I will look at that after I figure out why the second computer that has just the frontend cannot edit the records no matter how I link it to the backend.